The Bed-Sit Girl
|The Bed-Sit Girl|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||12|
|Running time||25 minutes (1965)
30 minutes (1966)
|Original run||13 April 1965 – 23 May 1966|
Hancock played Sheila Ross, a typist who lives in a bedsit and wishes for more in life. In the first series, Dilys Laye played her air hostess neighbour Dilys, and in the second Hy Hazell played Sheila's friend Liz. Derek Nimmo also appeared as her neighbour and boyfriend David in Series Two. All twelve episodes are missing from the archives and are thought to have been destroyed.
The Bed-Sit Girl was created by writing duo Ronald Chesney and Ronald Wolfe for Sheila Hancock, who had starred in their 1961-63 sitcom The Rag Trade. The producer for the first series was Duncan Wood while for the second series it was Graeme Muir. The Bed-Sit Girl was made in black-and-white.
- Sheila Hancock - Sheila Ross
- Dilys Laye - Dilys (series 1)
- Hy Hazell - Liz (series 2)
- Derek Nimmo - David (series 2)
Sheila Ross is a young typist who lives in a bedsit in London. Not entirely happy with her life, Sheila dreams of more and would like a more glamorous job like her neighbour, Dilys, who is an air hostess. In the second series, Dilys has moved on, and Sheila's friend Liz appears. The second series also features David, who lives in the bedsit next to Sheila's and becomes her boyfriend.
The first series, of six 25-minute episodes, aired from 13 April to 18 May 1965 on Tuesday evenings at 8.00pm. The second series, of six 30-minute episodes, aired from 18 April to 23 May 1966 on Monday evenings at 7.30pm. All twelve episodes are missing from the archives, and are thought to have been destroyed during the wiping policy of the era.
Series One (1965)
- "The Italian Pilot" (13 April 1965)
- "The Dress" (20 April 1965)
- "The Medical Stud" (27 April 1965)
- "The Last Half Inch" (4 May 1965)
- "The Air Hostess" (11 May 1965)
- "The Breakfast" (18 May 1965)
Series Two (1966)
- "The List" (18 April 1966)
- Episode Two (25 April 1966)
- Episode Three (2 May 1966)
- Episode Four (9 May 1966)
- Episode Five (16 May 1966)
- Episode Six (23 May 1966)
Sorry I'm Single
Derek Nimmo's character David was revived by Chesney and Wolfe in their 1967 sitcom Sorry I'm Single. In Sorry I'm Single Nimmo played David, a mature student who shares digs in Hampstead with three women.
- "The Bed-Sit Girl - Episode List". British TV Comedy. 2006. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- Lewishohn, Mark (2003). Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy. London: BBC Worldwide. ISBN 0-563-48755-0.
- "The Bed-Sit Girl - Summary". British TV Resources. 2006. Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- "Comedy Zone - The Bed-Sit Girl". Comedy Zone. 1999–2006. Retrieved 2008-03-21.
- "OVERVIEW [B]". Television Heaven. 2007. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- "Missing or incomplete episodes for programme THE BED-SIT GIRL". LostShows.com. 2006. Retrieved 2008-03-23.
- Hayward, Anthony (26 February 1999). "Obituary: Derek Nimmo". The Independent.