The Best Intentions (Swedish: Den goda viljan) is a 1992 Swedish drama film directed by Bille August and written by Ingmar Bergman. It is semi-autobiographical and tells the story of the complex courtship of Bergman's parents, Erik and Karin (who are renamed Henrik and Anna in the film but retain the "real" surnames), and the difficult early years of their marriage, up to the point where Anna is pregnant with their second son, effectively Bergman himself.
The film is a cut-down version of a four-part Swedish television series. The film version was released as a Region 2 DVD in April 2010.
- Samuel Fröler as Henrik Bergman
- Pernilla August as Anna Åkerblom Bergman
- Max von Sydow as Johan Åkerblom, Anna's father
- Ghita Nørby as Karin Åkerblom, Anna's mother
- Björn Kjellman as Ernst Åkerblom, Anna's brother
- Börje Ahlstedt as Carl Åkerblom, Anna's half-brother
- Björn Granath as Oscar Åkerblom, Anna's half-brother
- Gunilla Nyroos as Svea Åkerblom, Oscar's wife
- Michael Segerström as Gustav Åkerblom, Anna's half-brother
- Eva Gröndahl as Martha Åkerblom, Gustav's wife
- Mona Malm as Alma Bergman, Henrik's mother
- Keve Hjelm as Fredrik Bergman, Henrik's paternal grandfather
- Margaretha Krook as Blenda Bergman, Henrik's aunt
- Irma Christenson as Ebba Bergman, Henry's aunt
- Sif Ruud as Beda Bergman, Henrik's aunt
- Lena Endre as Frida Strandberg, Henrik's first fiancée
- Ernst-Hugo Järegård as Professor Sundelius
- Hans Alfredson as Rev. Gransjö
- Anita Björk as Queen Victoria
- Sten Ljunggren as Svante, Robert's father
The film won the Palme d'Or at the 1992 Cannes Film Festival. Pernilla August won the award for Best Actress at the same festival.
External links