The Best Years
|The Best Years|
|Created by||Aaron Martin|
Brandon Jay McLaren
|Theme music composer||Mark Wiebe|
|Opening theme||"Infinite Possibility" by Markattack|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||21 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Aaron Martin (season 1)
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Blueprint Entertainment
Best Years Productions
|Distributor||CanWest Global Communications|
|Original channel||Global (2007)
|Audio format||Monaural, stereo|
|Original run||May 22, 2007– May 15, 2009|
The Best Years is a Canadian teen drama television series set in Boston, Massachusetts. The series was created by producer and writer of Degrassi: The Next Generation, Aaron Martin. The first season was shown on Global in Canada and The N in the United States. The second season was shown in the US on The N and in Canada on E!, CanWest's secondary network.
The storyline follows Samantha Best, who grew up in foster care, and her classmates as they attend the university. The first season included episodes involving cocaine addiction, child molestation, and suicide. The second and final season picked up eight months after season one with many characters absent and replaced with new characters and focused romantic entanglements.
- Charity Shea as Samantha Best
- Randal Edwards as Noah Jensen
- Jennifer Miller as Kathryn Klarner
- Sherry Miller as Dorothy O'Sullivan
- Lauren Collins as Alicia O'Sullivan (guest star, season 1; recurring, season 2)
- Brandon Jay McLaren as Devon Sylver (season 1)
- Athena Karkanis as Dawn Vargaz (season 1)
- Niall Matter as Trent Hamilton (season 1)
- Alan Van Sprang as Lee Campbell (season 1)
- Tommy Lioutas as Rich Powell (season 2)
- Michael Xavier as Delman (season 2)
- Ashley Diana Morris as Shannon Biel (season 2)
- Nadiya Chettiar as Poppi Bansal (season 2)
- Mishael Morgan as Robyn Crawford (season 2)
According to Mediaweek, ratings the show debuted with 323,250 total viewers on Friday, June 29 at 8:30 p.m. ET, which more than doubled the time period average.
The show's theme song is titled "Infinite Possibility" and was written and performed by Mark Wiebe, also known as Markattack or Sinewave. Outdoor scenes from the show were filmed on the campus of the University of Guelph in Guelph, Ontario, as well as the University of Toronto, and interior scenes of the campus were re-created at the Toronto Film Studios.
|DVD Name||Ep #||Release Date|
|The Complete First Season||13||March 10, 2009|
|The Complete Second and Final Season||8||June 15, 2010|
- "About the Show". The Best Years. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
- "TV Show Filmed on Campus Debuts 22 May". University of Guelph. Retrieved 2007-10-20.
- Official website at the Wayback Machine
- The Best Years at TeenNick
- The Best Years at the Internet Movie Database
- The Best Years at TV.com
- Interview with series creator Aaron Martin on YouTube