The Bilders are various lineups of musicians coordinated by a New Zealand writer and musician. The first Bilders sprang from Vacuum (1977–79) and were known as Kazaportico. Other groups followed in quick succession: Six Impossible Things, Die Bilder, Above Ground, Bilderbergers, Builders, Soluble Fish and other permutations or homophones of the word Builders. Bilders' material is known for 'rough' music making (often live in the studio), and a lo-fi recording style that has produced "many genuine classic compositions".
Recent members include Robbie Yeats (2014, drums), Greig Bainbridge (1984-present, bass), David Watson (2013, bagpipes, 335 semi-acoustic guitar), Miggy Littleton (2013, bass), Hamish Kilgour of The Clean (1989, 2013-present), TThomthom G'schrey (Germany, violin, 1997, 2006, 2013), David Wukitsevits of Austrian band Der Nino aus Wien (2013, drums), Jess McCann (accordion), Stuart Porter (saxophones, percussion), Louise Johns (bass), Mark Williams (guitar), Jo Contag (drums), Barry Stockley (bass, 1987, 2013), Tama Stockley (drums, 2013), Mick Elborado (synth, 2010–11, bass 2012-13) and Stuart Page (drums and artwork, 1983, 2010–present).
Other former members include artist-guitarist Nikola Kapétanovic (2010, French project, electric guitar, dumbra, kalimba), dancer and actress France Hervé [French project, http://www.franceherve.blogspot.com/](chanteuse), Kersten Ginsberg (Germany, drums, 1997), pianist, composer, improvisor, filmmaker Jonathan Crayford(NZ) - piano (2010–11, a special poetry-piano project), Rick And (2011, vocal), Peter Scott (2012, bass) and Andy Maitai (drums, 2008). Further groups have played in Europe, USA, Australia and NZ with members Jon Evans (synthesiser, 2008, Berlin), Fred Morvan (beatbox, 2008, Berlin). Guests and collaborators in the 1980s included Alastair Galbraith 1994, Alec Bathgate (recording project, 1984), Chris Knox (recording and production, 1982) of Toy Love and Tall Dwarfs, Alan Brunton (opera project of the Brunton's)  (Red Mole), Steve Braunias and Campbell McLay (bass, 1980–82), members of The Terminals, Scorched Earth Policy and Victor Dimisich Band, Malcolm Grant (The Bats, drums, 1980–82), The above lists are not complete.
- "Fiat Lux". Builders live recordings 1980-82. Democrazy Records DR 009.
- "The Flavour of the Meat". 2013. 12 inch vinyl. 33rpm. Grapefruit Record Club.
- "New York Songs". 2013. 12 inch vinyl. 33rpm. Unwucht.
- Bilders Live. Tour merchandise CD. South Indies. 2012.
- "Wonders". 7 inch lathe. OneC Records. Plymouth, UK. 2012.
- High 30s Piano. (Live studio recordings, 1981-2). 2012. Unwucht.
- Soloman's Ball. 2012. 12" vinyl (from the quality studio recordings of 1981). Unwucht.
- Six Impossible Things. 2012. 12" vinyl (from the quality studio recordings of 1980-81). Unwucht.
- Vacuum, two 7 inch vinyl releases from the cult Philadelphia label from cassettes of early (1978–79) group Vauum (Peter Stapleton, Steve Cogle, Peter Fryer, Allen Meek, Brendan Arnold). (Siltbreeze, 2011, 2012). Of these only the second remains in production.
- Above Ground. Siltbreeze. Philadelphia, USA. LP. Vinyl (from cassette of 1983). 2011.
- Krypton 10. 12" double vinyl album includes BD collabs with Onset-Offset stable in Christchurch c. 1980-82; taken partly from 20 Solid Krypton Hits (above). Unwucht, Augsburg, Germany. 2011
- Parisian Friday. CD (jewel case). Non-studio recordings (gallery openings, practices). 2010. Bilders Paris Sessions (w. Nikola Kapétanovic). Powertool Music.
- Flying Nun Box Set (Alligator Song). Limited period usage. Warner Bros. 2007.
- Divina Comedia. LP vinyl compilation of Builders material 1980-88). South Indies. 1989.
- Life in Bars. Bill Direen and Barry Stockley. 12" vinyl. 45 rpm. South Indies. 1987.
- The Cup. Builders. 12" vinyl. 45 rpm. South Indies. 1987. (w. John McDermott, Stuart Porter, Bainbridge, Holdorf).
- Let's Play. Builders.12" LP vinyl. South Indies. 1986. (w. Bainbridge, Tony Green, Karl Holdorf. Incl. a Vacuum archive song).
- CoNCH3. Builders. 12" LP vinyl. South Indies. 1985. (w. Page, Bainbridge, various).
- Dix, John (1988). Stranded in Paradise: New Zealand Rock 'n' roll 1955-88. Palmerston North, NZ: Paradise Publications. ISBN 0-14-301953-8 ISBN 0-473-00638-3
- Campbell Walker, ‘The Songwriter’s Cut’ pp 36–39 in Music in New Zealand (Ed. William Dart) Number 28 (ISSN 0113-7441) Autumn 1995. Compositions and releases,1980–1995, with performance history of The Bilders.
- 2007 New Zealand radio interview about The Bilders
- Interview on various related subjects RNZ 2006
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Bilders.|
- Grapefruit is an American record club issuing four subscription vinyl albums by various artists per annum. LPs are also sold separately.
- Unwucht is a German label reissuing Bilders/Six Impossible Things on 12 inch vinyl with art quality screenprinted covers.
- Siltbreeze is an American label currently releasing cassette band recordings from pre-Bilders group Vacuum (1976-79)
- Powertool New Zealand cottage company produced CD reproductions of Bilders' home and studio recordings 2005-2010
- Some Bilders videos with French explication
- Lisa Warrington on the Playwrights Conference, Nelson, New Zealand 1990 See also ‘Writers Turn Art on its Head’, Nelson Mail, 1990.