Fyi (TV network)
||It has been suggested that FYI (TV network) be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since July 2014.|
|Launched||January 1, 1999
(as The Biography Channel)
|Owned by||A+E Networks
(Hearst Corporation (50%), Disney–ABC Television Group (50%))
|Picture format||720p (HDTV)
|Slogan||Your Inspiration Network|
|Broadcast area||United States, Canada, Southeast Asia|
|Headquarters||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Formerly called||The Biography Channel
Lifetime Movie Network
Lifetime Real Women
|Dish Network||119 (HD/SD)|
|C-Band - H2H/4DTV||AMC 18 - Channel 201|
|Available on many U.S. cable providers||Check local listings for channels|
|Verizon FiOS||629 (HD)
|AT&T U-verse||1272 (HD)
FYI (stylized as fyi,, formerly Bio.) is an American digital cable and satellite television network that is owned by A&E Networks, a joint venture between the Disney-ABC Television Group division of The Walt Disney Company and the Hearst Corporation. The channel launched as The Biography Channel, and was originally an offshoot of the long-running series Biography, which previously aired on sister network A&E.
As of August 2013, the channel was available to approximately 68,007,000 pay television households (59.55% of households with television) in the United States.
The Biography Channel was launched by A&E Networks in January 1999 as a spinoff of the Biography series. In addition to biographical shows, the network aired fictional, non-biographical programming previously seen on A&E, including Murder, She Wrote and Sherlock Holmes, though this practice ended in 2007.
By August 2006, The Biography Channel became the exclusive home for the Biography series, which was also dropped by A&E. On July 16, 2007, The Biography Channel unveiled a new logo, a new tagline ("True Story"), and revamped its on-air look and feel. Although the channel's new nickname was "Bio", the Biography Channel name was still in use in various areas as its official name.
The channel had been stagnating since before A&E’s 2013 upfront presentation as little focus was placed upon it. For 2013, Bio was generating 12 cents per subscriber from video providers, which is half the industry average. After tweaking the three main A&E channels, Bio averaged viewers of 91,000 adults 25-54 in prime, a fraction of what A&E (716,000) and History (703,000) managed over the same period.
In December 2013, A&E Networks announced The Biography Channel would be rebranded as FYI on July 7, 2014. In late June 2014, promos for B.O.R.N To Style, one of FYI's first original shows, revealed its first bumper designs and slogan, "FYI: Your Inspiration Network".
- Sell This House!
- Food Factory
- Married at First Sight
- Rowhouse Showdown
- Celebrity House Hunting"
- Epic Meal Empire (16 30-minutes episodes) produced by The Collective and Nexttime Productions based on the “Epic Meal Time” YouTube show.
- The Feed (6 1-hour episodes) produced by Giants Pirates with Top Chef judge Gail Simmons, “The Taste” judge Marcus Samuelsson and comedian and food-blogger Max Silvestri as a traveling road show looking into the American food culture and its new trends.
- World Food Championships (6 1-hour episodes) coverage produced by Sharp Entertainment
- Tiny House Nation (10 1 hour episodes) produced by Loud TV, the series shows the design and building of a "mini-dream home" of no more than 300 square feet.
- Renovation Row (10 1-hour episodes) produced by Jane Street Entertainment in which three teams compete to increase the house and neighborhood value via the renovation of an "identical urban homes in dilapidated neighborhoods".
- B.O.R.N. to Style (10 1-hour episodes) produced by Left/Right features style makeovers at the Harlem-based boutique, B.O.R.N. (Borrowed, Old, Refurbished, and New).
- Jennifer's Way, a reality show following Jennifer Esposito's gluten-free New York bakery and its attempt to expand
- Red Hot Design features designer and artist Shasta Smith and her team making upscale art and furniture from unusual materials
International services of Bio and FYI
Local versions of the Biography Channel continue to air in the following countries:
Local and regional versions of Bio are also seen in Israel, Italy, Germany, and Latin America. The Latin American version airs the same programming and has the same logo as the former U.S. version. It is controlled by Time Warner's HBO Latin America Group under the license of A&E Networks.
The channel also had UK edition, which has since been replaced by Lifetime UK. The Canadian version is wholly owned by Rogers Media. Meanwhile, rival company Shaw Media will launch a Canadian version of FYI as a re-brand of Twist TV.
- Seidman, Robert (August 23, 2013). "List of How Many Homes Each Cable Networks Is In - Cable Network Coverage Estimates As Of August 2013". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (May 27, 2014). "FYI Unveils Primetime Lineup For July Premiere". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved May 27, 2014.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (February 26, 2014). "FYI Greenlights Six Series and Two Pilots to Production". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved February 26, 2014.
- Andreeva, Nellie (December 11, 2013). "A&E Networks' Bio Renamed FYI As It Converts Into Lifestyle Network". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (December 11, 2013). "A+E Networks Rebranding Bio Channel as New Network 'FYI'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Nededog, Jethro (December 11, 2013). "A&E Networks Rebranding Bio Channel to Lifestyle Channel FYI". The Wrap (The Wrap News Inc.). Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Zeitchik, Steven (January 16, 2007). "Shatner to interview celebrities". Variety. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Thielman, Sam (December 11, 2013). "Bio to Rebrand as FYI, a 'Contemporary Lifestyle' Network". Ad Week. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Goldberg, Lesley (December 11, 2013). "A+E Rebrands Bio as Lifestyle Network FYI". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Poggi, Jeanine (December 11, 2013). "A&E Rebrands Bio Channel as FYI, a Broad Lifestyle Network". Ad Age (Crain Communications). Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "FYI Network Announces Lineup, Launch Date". February 26, 2014. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Official website
- The Biography Channel Australia
- The Biography Channel Canada
- The Biography Channel Germany
- The Biography Channel Israel
- The Biography Channel Asia