The Black Ryder
|The Black Ryder|
|Instruments||Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Percussion|
|Labels||The Anti-Machine Machine / EMIMusic Australia|
|Associated acts||The Morning After Girls, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The Brian Jonestown Massacre|
Scott Von Ryper
Their debut album Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride was released on 6 November 2009 through their own label, The Anti-Machine Machine / EMI Music Australia, and also through Mexican Summer Records on 21 September 2010.
The Black Ryder was formed in 2007 by founding members Aimee Nash (Vocals, Guitar, Keyboards, Percussion) and Scott Von Ryper (Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Percussion) after their exit from The Morning After Girls.
The Black Ryder is essentially Australian singer-songwriter duo Aimee Nash & Scott Von Ryper who enlist the help of friends / guest players to form the live extension of their music.
Guest artists & players have included:
- Ricky Maymi Brian Jonestown Massacre
- Leah Shapiro Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Peter Hayes Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
- Gregg Foreman Cat Power / Pink Mountaintops
- Hayden Scott Brody Dalle / Awolnation
- Graham Bonnar Swervedriver / The Brian Jonestown Massacre
- Jules Ferrari The Dolly Rocker Movement / Songs
- Malia James Dum Dum Girls
- Luke O'Farrell The Laurels
- Kate Wilson The Laurels / The Holy Soul
- Adam Edwards Wolf & Cub
In 2009, The Black Ryder made their live debut in Australia opening for Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, followed by subsequent Australian tours with Brian Jonestown Massacre, The Charlatans, & The Raveonettes.
The Black Ryders debut album "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride" was released in 2009 on Nash / Von Rypers own label "The Anti-Machine Machine" / EMI Music Australia. It was included in Rolling Stone Magazine (Australia) Best Albums of 2010, The Black Ryder were also nominated Best New Artist.
Their track Sweet Come Down is accompanied by a film directed by Michael Spiccia. Michael Spiccia has directed film clips for Australian bands Jet band and Jack Ladder ; Michael's debut short film 'Yardbird' was accepted in competition at 2012 65th Cannes Film Festival.
2010 saw the American release of "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride" on Mexican Summer Records. The band supported The Cult in Australia in May 2010 & continued touring in the USA with The Cult after relocating to Los Angeles in September 2010. Nash married Ian Astbury, the singer of The Cult, in a Las Vegas ceremony in May 2012.
After relocating to America the band performed at 2011 Noise Pop Festival, 2011 Clean Air Clear Stars Festival (Pappy & Harriet's); as well as shows with Broken Social Scene, Spectrum (Pete Kember), Tamaryn.
In 2012, the band were invited to perform at SXSW (Austin, Texas). In 2013, the band played at the Austin Psych Festival, where they played through an electrical storm. They would also join Primal Scream, & The Black Angels. on their west coast shows.
Several of their musical works include scores for Iconic Australian Jewelry designers MANIAMANIA. The films for 'The Third Mind' collection (featuring Abbey Lee Kershaw) were launched on the New York Times website, as well as other high fashion + lifestyle sites.
Nash and Von Ryper are currently based in Los Angeles, where they have been working on their self-produced follow up album.
- Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride - 6 November 2009 (The Anti-Machine Machine / EMI MUSIC AUSTRALIA / Mexican Summer)
- The Door Behind the Door - 24 February 2015 (The Anti-Machine Machine)
- "Sweet Come Down" - Taken from the album Buy The Ticket, Take The Ride; Directed by Michael Spiccia
- Let It Go - Turn On Your Mind (Psilocybin Sounds – UK) Release Date: 1 March 2007
- Let It Go - Dead Bees Record Sampler # 6 (Dead Bees records - France) Release Date: 1 May 2007
- Let It Go and Rise - Burn Your Fingers on the Sun (Darkland Recordings / Off the Hip – Australia) Release Date: 1 January 2008
- "The Black Ryder to release debut album on own label, ‘The Anti-Machine Machine’ via EMI Music - Music News, Reviews, Interviews and Culture". Music Feeds. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- Easton, Max (2009-11-01). "The Black Ryder – Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride | Soulshine | Australian Independent Music". Soulshine. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- [dead link]
- "Spiccia". Michaelspiccia.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- Sergey Noskov. "Bio's · Yardbird". Yardbird-movie.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- Laudadio, Marisa; Dodd, Johnny (29 May 2012). "The Cult's Ian Astbury Weds in Las Vegas". People. Retrieved 3 June 2012.
- "The Black Ryder - Grass @ Austin Psych Fest 6". YouTube. 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "GRIMY GOODS ~ The Black Angels with the Black Ryder at at Pappy and Harriet’s | Pappy & Harriets". Pappyandharriets.com. 2013-09-06. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- [dead link]
- "Dust". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "The Third Mind". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "Press | Shop Designer Crystal Jewellery Online | ManiaMania". I.themaniamania.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- [dead link]
- "Dead Bees Records - The Temporary Thing - Call Me Loretta - The Nova Express - Eyelash Pulse - A Poplar - Director's Cut - De Neuve". Deadbees.com. Retrieved 2015-03-04.
- "IIS7". Offthehip.com.au. Retrieved 2015-03-04.