The Black Seeds
|The Black Seeds|
Performing in Leicester, August 2012
|Origin||Wellington, New Zealand|
|Genres||Rock, reggae, dub|
|Associated acts||Fly My Pretties
Flight of the Conchords
Fat Freddy's Drop
|Past members||Bret McKenzie
Formed in 1998, The Black Seeds perform with eight members, with instruments including vocals, guitar, saxophone, trumpet, bass, drums, bongos, keyboard and wood block. They have two double-platinum selling albums in New Zealand, and successful European album releases through the German-based Sonar Kollektiv label.
The Black Seeds have released seven albums: Keep On Pushing L.P (2001) and On The Sun (2003), Into the Dojo (2006) and Solid Ground (2008), a live album and remix albums Pushed (2003) and Specials (2010).
Lead singer Barnaby Weir is also associated with the sideprojects Flash Harry and Fly My Pretties. Former band member Bret McKenzie is also a member of international award-winning comedy duo Flight of the Conchords, as well as playing Figwit the elf in Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings. In June 2011, trumpet player Andrew Christiansen left the band and was replaced by Barrett Hocking.
- Keep On Pushing LP (2001)
- On the Sun (2004)
- Into the Dojo (2006)
- Solid Ground (2008)
- The Black Seed Lives - Vol 1 (2009)
- Specials: remixes and versions off Solid Ground (2010)
- Dust And Dirt (2012)
- Campbell-Livingston, Cecelia (2013) "The Black Seeds, rooted in reggae", Jamaica Observer, 27 November 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013
- "The Black Seeds Bio". Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "The Black Seeds". Under the Radar. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Rebecca Thomson. "Fly My Pretties - Barnaby Weir is Flying High". NZ Musician. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "THE BLACK SEEDS – BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION". Rock Paper Scissors. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Katarina Filipe (16 March 2012). "Going global with The Black Seeds". The Timaru Herald. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- "Breaking Bad (Music from the Original TV Series)". iTunes. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
- Maria Elena Fernandez (18 May 2010). "'Breaking Bad': La musica on sale Tuesday on I-tunes and Amazon". LA Times. Retrieved 10 April 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Black Seeds.|