The Block NZ
|The Block NZ|
|Country of origin||New Zealand|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||67 (as of 19 September 2014[update])|
|Running time||60 minutes[a]|
|Original run||4 July 2012– present|
The Block NZ is a New Zealand reality show based on the popular Australian TV series The Block. The show premiered on TV3 on 4 July 2012. The first season premiered in Australia on Go! Channel on 12 August 2012, and is currently in its third season.
The show is hosted by former Black Cap Mark Richardson and Shannon Ryan. It follows four couples as they compete against each other to completely renovate, room by room, four neighbouring houses in Auckland. and then sell them at auction. Each couple keeps any profit made on the house, and the winner receives a bonus of $80,000.
The series was initially announced on 24 February 2012, when a casting call went out and saw over 1,000 couples apply. The four couples selected for series 1 were announced on the official Facebook page on 17 June 2012.
Differences from the Australian series
The series differs from the Australian show in several ways. In the New Zealand version, the final contestants have been pre-determined by the show's producers. This contrasts to the Australian version, where the final couples are decided from a shortlist in an elimination week. In the New Zealand version, the show aired twice a week in series 1, thrice a week in series 2, and a four times a week in the third series, as opposed to the Australian show's Sunday to Friday schedule.
|Series premiere||Series finale||Winning couple||Winning profit (NZD)|
||20||4 July 2012||6 September 2012||Libby and Ben Crawford||$156,000||
||31||26 August 2013||4 November 2013||Alice and Caleb Pearson||$261,000||
||TBA||26 August 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA||
- "The Block NZ's photo". Facebook.com. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014. "Big news - the hosts of The Block NZ have been announced! We've got sports star turned broadcaster Mark Richardson as the show host and the gorgeous Shannon Ryan will joining him as the challenge presenter. Bring it on!"
- Hallahan, Marnie (31 May 2012). "Bargains on The Block". North Shore Times - via Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "About The Block NZ". tv3.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "TV3 castings for The Block NZ". Throng.co.nz. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ contestants revealed". 3news.co.nz. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ photo". Facebook.com. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014. "he Block has finally come NZ and we're thrilled to announce the teams! Meet Sarah & Rich from Hamilton, Libby & Ben from CHCH & AKL, Ginny & Rhys from New Plymouth and Rachel & Ty from Wellington! Who will nail it? The Block NZ, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4th July on TV3. C'Mon now!"
- "The Block NZ returning for three nights per week". Throng.co.nz. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ to screen four nights per week". Throng.co.nz. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ contestants revealed". 3 News. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Lights, camera... DIY". 27 May 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Q&A with The Block NZ Judges". tv3.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Meet the new Block NZ judges". Stuff.co.nz. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- The last few episodes of each series are often 120 minutes.