The Block NZ
|The Block NZ|
|Country of origin||New Zealand|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||100|
|Running time||60 minutes[a]|
|Original run||4 July 2012– present|
The Block NZ is a New Zealand reality show based on the popular Australian TV show The Block. The show premiered on TV3 on 4 July 2012. On 30 October 2014 a fourth season was confirmed, entitled Fans vs. Faves.
The show is hosted by former Black Cap Mark Richardson and Shannon Ryan, while Peter Wolfkamp serves as site foreman. It follows four couples as they compete against each other to completely renovate, room by room, four neighbouring houses in Auckland, and then sell them at auction. Each couple keeps any profit made on the house, and the winner receives a bonus of $80,000.
The show premiered in Australia on Go! Channel on 12 August 2012.
The show's main sponsors are hardware chain Bunnings Warehouse, state-owned Kiwibank, and BP's Wild Bean Cafe. Throughout series 1–2, car manufacturer Mazda was also a main sponsor, but for series 3, the sponsorship was awarded to car manufacturer Honda.
The show was initially announced on 24 February 2012, when a casting call went out and saw over 1,000 couples apply. The four couples selected for the first series were announced on the official Facebook page on 17 June 2012.
Differences from the Australian series
The series differs from the Australian show in several ways. In the New Zealand version, the final contestants have been pre-determined by the show's producers. This contrasts to the Australian version, where the final couples are decided from a shortlist in an elimination week. In the New Zealand version, the show aired twice a week in the first series, thrice a week in the second series, and four times a week in the third series, as opposed to the Australian show's Sunday to Friday schedule. In all three series thus far, there are challenges to determine auction order rather than contestants deciding amongst themselves, or being randomly drawn out, and the final challenge winners never have prices knocked off the original reserve price.
|Series premiere||Series finale||Winning couple||Winning profit (NZD)|
|1||20||4 July 2012||6 September 2012||Libby and Ben Crawford||$156,000||
|2||31||26 August 2013||4 November 2013||Alice and Caleb Pearson||$261,000||
|3||49||26 August 2014||18 November 2014||Alex and Corban Walls||$307,000||
- "The Block NZ's photo". Facebook.com. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
Big news - the hosts of The Block NZ have been announced! We've got sports star turned broadcaster Mark Richardson as the show host and the gorgeous Shannon Ryan will joining him as the challenge presenter. Bring it on!
- "The Block gears up for Auckland inner-city sites". The New Zealand Herald. 19 April 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
- "The Block NZ Facebook status". 30 October 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
BREAKING NEWS: We are super-excited to confirm there will be a fourth season of The Block NZ - and this one will be FANS VS FAVES!
- Hallahan, Marnie (31 May 2012). "Bargains on The Block". North Shore Times - via Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "About The Block NZ". tv3.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- Springall, Lesley. "The The Block NZ – leveraged to perfection". Retrieved 21 October 2014.
- "TV3 castings for The Block NZ". Throng.co.nz. 24 February 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ contestants revealed". 3news.co.nz. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ photo". Facebook.com. 17 June 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
The Block has finally come NZ and we're thrilled to announce the teams! Meet Sarah & Rich from Hamilton, Libby & Ben from CHCH & AKL, Ginny & Rhys from New Plymouth and Rachel & Ty from Wellington! Who will nail it? The Block NZ, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 4th July on TV3. C'Mon now!
- "The Block NZ returning for three nights per week". Throng.co.nz. 15 August 2013. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ to screen four nights per week". Throng.co.nz. 12 August 2014. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "The Block NZ contestants revealed". 3 News. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 17 August 2014.
- "Lights, camera... DIY". 27 May 2012. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Q&A with The Block NZ Judges". tv3.co.nz. Retrieved 31 August 2014.
- "Meet the new Block NZ judges". Stuff.co.nz. 10 July 2014. Retrieved 23 August 2014.
- The last few episodes of each series are often 120 minutes.