The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again
|The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again|
|Studio album by John Fogerty|
|Released||August 25, 2009|
|Recorded||Village Recorders and Berkeley Street Studios, Santa Monica: October 2008|
|Genre||Country, folk, country rock|
|Label||Fortunate Son/Verve Forecast Records|
|John Fogerty chronology|
The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again is the eighth solo album by American roots rock singer-songwriter and guitarist John Fogerty, first released on August 25, 2009, on Fogerty's own label, Fortunate Son Records and distributed by Verve Forecast Records. The apparent grammatical error in the title of the album (the verb should be conjugated 'ride,' not 'rides') is a play on the fact that the original Blue Ridge Rangers (on the 1973 album The Blue Ridge Rangers) consisted entirely of Fogerty singing all the vocals and playing all the instruments by himself.
Originally announced in December 2008, the album was then titled The Return of the Blue Ridge Rangers and was slated for release by Fantasy Records, the label Fogerty recorded for with Creedence Clearwater Revival and his 2007 "comeback" album Revival. The album shares similarities in style with Fogerty's first solo album The Blue Ridge Rangers and included auto-remake of a song from Eye of the Zombie album.
The album was recorded at Village Recorders in Santa Monica, California, in a 10-day session. Included in the group were Buddy Miller, Greg Leisz, Dennis Crouch, Jay Bellerose and Kenny Aronoff. It was recorded mostly at Berkeley Street Studios in Santa Monica, California. Beginning tracks started in October of 2008 at Village Recorders in Santa Monica with Mike Piersante (Engineer). Additional sessions occurred with special guests, Bruce Springsteen and The Eagles' Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit.
|2.||"Never Ending Song of Love"||Bonnie Bramlett, Delaney Bramlett||3:02|
|3.||"Garden Party" (featuring Don Henley and Timothy B. Schmit)||Ricky Nelson||3:51|
|4.||"I Don't Care (Just As Long As You Love Me)"||Buck Owens||2:27|
|5.||"Back Home Again"||John Denver||4:27|
|6.||"I'll Be There (If You Ever Want Me)"||Ray Price, Rusty Gabbard||2:57|
|7.||"Change In the Weather" (also recorded on Fogerty's Eye of the Zombie album)||John Fogerty||4:03|
|8.||"Moody River"||Gary Daniel Bruce||3:10|
|9.||"Heaven's Just a Sin Away"||J. Gillespie||2:33|
|10.||"Fallin', Fallin', Fallin'"||D. Deckleman, J. Guillot, J.D. Miller||2:30|
|11.||"Haunted House"||Robert L. Geddins||4:36|
|12.||"When Will I Be Loved" (featuring Bruce Springsteen)||Phil Everly||2:37|
Tracks not included
There were 15 songs recorded from a long list of songs that Fogerty, T-Bone Burnett and Lenny Waronker put together. Fogerty did not release the specific titles, but a Merle Haggard song was revealed to be among the three unreleased tunes.
The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again was arranged and produced by John Fogerty.
- Production group
- Executive Producer: Julie Fogerty
- Associate Producter: Lenny Waronker
- Mix engineer: Bob Clearmountain
- Mastering: Bob Ludwig for Gateway Mastering Studios
- Recording Engineers: Mike Piersante, Bob Clearmountain, Kevin Harp, Brandon Duncan, Ryan Freeland, Toby Scott, and David Colvin
- Art Direction: Julie Fogerty and Geoff Gans
- Package Design: Geoff Gans and Julie Fogerty
- Photography credits: Julie Fogerty, Wayne Stambler, Geoff Gans, and Bob Fogerty
- Distribution: Universal Music Distribution
Fogerty's band includes:
- Buddy Miller - electric guitar, acoustic guitar,
- Kenny Aronoff - percussion, drums,
- Greg Leisz - steel guitar, lap steel, dobro, mandolin,
- Jay Bellerose - drums,
- Jason Mowery - fiddle, dobro, mandolin, back vocals,
- Herb Pedersen - back vocals, harmony vocals,
- Jodie Kennedy - back vocals, harmony vocals,
- Oren Waters - back vocals,
- Chris Chaney - bass,
- Dennis Crouch - bass,
- Hunter Perrin - fingerstyle guitar, electric rhythm guitar.
A deluxe edition of the album was released that included both the CD and a bonus DVD.
DVD track listing
- Source: BRR DVD
- Making of The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again album
- In-studio rehearsal: Change in the Weather
- In-studio rehearsal: Heaven's Just A Sin Away
- Preview of the new DVD Come Down the Road, the triumphant return to Albert Hall ... LISTEN
|Finnish Albums Chart||25|
- "Amazon.com: The Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again: John Fogerty: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Music Box review
- Fogerty Revisits 'Blue Ridge' On New Album, accessed 2009-10-03.
- "Fogerty completes Blue Ridge Rangers CD". Country Standard Time. June 7, 2009. Retrieved October 17, 2009.
- The Return of Blue Ridge Ranger, Rolling Stone
- Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again (Deluxe Edition) Album insert, 2009, Universal Music Distribution, production no. B0013286-02.
- Blue Ridge Rangers Rides Again - Bonus DVD, 2009, Verve Music Group, division of UMC Recordings, production no. B0013286-00.
- Suomen virallinen lista