The Boat Race 1840
|4th Boat Race|
|Date||15 April 1840|
|Margin of victory||3/4 length|
|Winning time||29 minutes 3 seconds|
|Umpire||C. Bewicke (Oxford)
C. J. Selwyn (Cambridge)
W. H. Harrison (referee)
The 4th Boat Race took place on the River Thames on 15 April 1840. It was the third of the University Boat Races to be held on the Thames, on a five-and-three-quarter-mile stretch between Westminster and Putney. Cambridge won the race by 3/4 of a length to lead the overall record at 3–1.
|Bow||Alfred Hudson Shadwell||Jacob G. Mountain|
|2||William Massey||I. J. J. Pocock|
|3||Sam. Barnard Taylor||S. E. Maberley|
|4||John M. Ridley||W. Rogers|
|5||George Charles Uppleby||R. G. Walls|
|6||Francis Cranmer Penrose||E. Royds|
|7||Heighway C. Jones||Godfrey Meynell|
|Stroke||Charles M. Vialls (P)||J. J. T. Somers Cox (P)|
|Cox||T. S. Egan||W. B. Garnett|
(P) – boat club president
- Burnell, Richard (1979). One Hundred and Fifty Years of the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Race. Precision Press. ISBN 0950063878.
- Burnell p. 49
- "Boat Race – Early races". theboatrace.org. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "The Boat Race". Oxford University Boat Club. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Results". theboatrace.org. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- MacMichael, William Fisher (1870). The Oxford and Cambridge Boat Races: From A.D. 1829 to 1869. Deighton. p. 71.
|This rowing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|