The Boys Are Back in Town: Live in Australia
|The Boys Are Back in Town: Live in Australia|
Cover featuring (clockwise from top left): Nauseef, Lynott, Moore and Gorham
|Live album by Thin Lizzy|
|Released||7 December 1999|
|Recorded||29 October 1978|
|Thin Lizzy chronology|
Following a tour of the United States between August and October 1978, which was Gary Moore's first tour as a permanent member of the band, Thin Lizzy embarked upon a six-date tour of Australia and New Zealand during late October. The band's regular drummer Brian Downey was unable to take part in these tours due to the hectic schedule, and had taken a break from performing. He later explained his reasons as "exhaustion, and a lack of interest in seeing a stage again for a while". In early August 1978, during rehearsals with a number of drummers including Terry Bozzio, Thin Lizzy had chosen ex-Ian Gillan Band drummer Mark Nauseef to replace Downey. The Sydney concert was Nauseef's penultimate show as a member of Thin Lizzy, as Downey returned to the band in December.
Thin Lizzy did a morning sound check which extended to a jam of around 25 minutes for those who had arrived extra early for the concert. The band performed for an estimated crowd of 100,000 on the steps of the famous Sydney Opera House. The large crowd was due to the free entry for the concert.
Video and DVD
The concert was subsequently produced in VHS and DVD format and was originally made for a television special produced by local radio station 2SM and Australia's Seven Network. It was later available from Warner Vision as Thin Lizzy Live at Sydney Harbour '78, and has been re-released under various titles including The Boys Are Back in Town.
- "Jailbreak" (Phil Lynott) – 4:30
- "Bad Reputation" (Brian Downey, Scott Gorham, Lynott) – 3:14
- "Cowboy Song" (Downey, Lynott) – 5:13
- "The Boys Are Back in Town" (Lynott) – 5:02
- "Waiting for an Alibi" (Lynott) – 5:01
- "Are You Ready" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott, Brian Robertson) – 4:39
- "Me and the Boys Were Wondering How You and the Girls Are Getting Home Tonight" (Lynott) – 6:18
- "Baby Drives Me Crazy" (Downey, Gorham, Lynott, Robertson) – 6:23
- Phil Lynott – lead vocals, bass guitar
- Gary Moore – guitar, backing vocals
- Scott Gorham – guitar, backing vocals
- Mark Nauseef – drums