The Breeze (radio network)
|Broadcast area||South Hampshire, Basingstoke & Thames Valley, Bristol, Bath, Somerset, North Dorset, West Wiltshire, Frome and Cheltenham.|
|Slogan||"Tune in Feel Good"|
|First air date||1998–1999 (as individual stations)
4 July 2010 (current format)
|Audience share||4.3% (June 2011, )|
The Breeze is a network of Independent Local Radio stations broadcasting to South West Surrey, West Sussex, Hampshire, Cheltenham, West Berkshire, Bristol, Somerset, Dorset and West Wiltshire. The stations, owned & operated by Celador Radio, broadcast a 'contemporary easy listening' format, playing classic and recent melodic popular music aimed principally at listeners over the age of 40.
The Breeze network operates on various FM frequencies and is also online at thebreeze.com. All frequencies were previously separate stations centred on each of the broadcast areas, which have been acquired and combined into one network, carrying separate breakfast and drivetime programming for the south and the west of England.
The network launched when Play Radio (a combination of two stations in Hampshire) was acquired by Celador along with an additional station in Portsmouth and rebranded as The Breeze on 4 July 2010. The individual stations have all operated under various owners, formats and identities, with the stations having launched between 1998 and 1999 as a series of local stations focused on a specified broadcast area.
In 2011, Celador acquired two Total Star stations in Bristol & Bridgwater, and successfully applied for an FM licence serving the Bath area, and relaunched all stations as The Breeze. All local programming is now identical across all licence areas.
The Breeze originally launched as a number of stations in the South and the West of England.
- The Breeze (South West) was created on 29 March 2013 by the merging of four stations in Bristol, Bath, North Somerset, Frome & West Wiltshire
- The Breeze (South Hampshire) was originally three individual stations all launched in 1999 – SouthCity FM (Southampton), Win 107.2 (Winchester) and Radio Victory (Portsmouth). Following subsequent mergers and acquisitions the stations were acquired by Celador in 2010 and rebranded into one station. Kestrel FM Haslemere joined the south network on 16 December 2012.
- The Breeze (Basingstoke) was launched on 16 December 2012 by the merging of three stations in Andover, Newbury and Basingstoke.
- The Breeze (Bridgwater & West Somerset) launched in 1998 as Quaywest 102.4. It later acquired a station called BCRfm before being taken over by One Gold Radio and relaunched as Total Star Somerset until August 2011.
- The Breeze (Yeovil & South Somerset) (as of 25 June 2012) started in October 2003 as Ivel FM and relaunched as Midwest Radio in August 2010.
- The Breeze (North Dorset) (as of 25 June 2012) started on 25 June 1995 as 97.4 Gold Radio before becoming Vale FM. It was rebranded as Midwest Radio in August 2010.
The Breeze Breakfast (weekdays)
The Breeze Drive (weekdays)
- "Media titles owned by Celador Radio". Media UK. Retrieved 15 November 2011.
- "The Breeze heads to Bristol". Radio Today. Retrieved 20 January 2011.
- "Celador to Launch The Breeze 107". Radio Today. 21 June 2010. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- RadioToday: The Breeze to replace Total Star Somerset