The Brewing Network
|Broadcast area||Worldwide via Internet|
|Slogan||A Multimedia Resource For Brewers and Their Craft|
|First air date||June 5, 2005|
The Brewing Network (The BN) produces internet-based live radio shows focusing on homebrewing and general craft beer interest, which are subsequently made available as Podcasts. The BN frequently features interviews with well-known (and well-respected) figures in both the homebrewing and craft brewing world, as well as experts in cider, mead and wine making.
The network's original show, "The Sunday Session", follows a "beer entertainment" philosophy that blends beer information and interviews with humorous stories from the brewcasters' personal lives. Live questions submitted by either phone, live chat or email are fielded by the guests and the hosts. It airs Sundays at 5 pm PST.
Besides the Sunday Session, the Brewing Network produces "The Jamil Show - Can You Brew It?," in which award-winning homebrewers Jamil Zainasheff and Mike "Tasty" McDole attempt to reproduce popular commercial beers, and "Brew Strong," featuring Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer, a show focusing on the technical and scientific aspects of homebrewing. Debuting on August 26, 2010, The Homebrewed Chef hosted by Sean Paxton is dedicated to cooking with beer and food pairings. Additionally, "Lunch Meet" featuring Justin Crossley and Jason Petros airs at irregular intervals on Fridays at 12:00 pm PST.
In an earlier iteration of the Jamil Show, Jamil Zainasheff and Jonathan Plise focused on individual beer styles as listed in the BJCP style guidelines.
- June 5, 2005
- The Brewing Network broadcasts its first show, "The Sunday Live Show," via a live streaming broadcast on the Internet. It featured Justin Crossley and Jonathan Plise.
- January 16, 2006
- "The Jamil Show" premieres, featuring Jamil Zainasheff and Jonathan Plise.
- February 3, 2006
- "Lunch Meet" premieres, featuring Justin Crossley and Jason "JP" Petros.
- May 21, 2006
- The "Free FM Brewcast" is first broadcast on 106.9 Free FM in San Francisco as well as a live stream on the Internet. The Free FM show is the first "terrestrial" broadcast for The Brewing Network. The first show was co-hosted by Justin Crossley and Shaun O'Sullivan, brewmaster and co-founder of The 21st Amendment Brewery in San Francisco; "Doc" also made an appearance.
- June 4, 2006
- The Brewing Network celebrates its 1st Anniversary live from The 21st Amendment Brewery in San Francisco.
- June 23–24, 2006
- The Brewing Network broadcasts live from the National Homebrewers Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- March 3, 2007
- Daniela Perl's last show
- June 3, 2007
- The Brewing Network's 2nd Anniversary Party live from the Bistro in Hayward, California.
- September 9, 2007
- 100th Sunday Session broadcast.
- October 11–13, 2007
- The Brewing Network broadcasts live from the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado as the Official Broadcaster of the GABF.
- February 17, 2008
- The Brewing Network broadcasts live from the Celebrator Beer News' 20th Anniversary Party at the Oakland Convention Center.
- June 14, 2008
- The Brewing Network's 3rd Anniversary Party live from Downtown Joe's in Napa, California features a live video feed provided by John Foster of beerschool.com.
- June 19–21, 2008
- The Brewing Network broadcasts various live shows from the National Homebrewers Conference in Cincinnati, Ohio, including broadcasting the awards ceremony live.
- August 4, 2008
- "Brew Strong", an amateur brewing geek's must-listen show premieres, featuring Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.
- December 26, 2008
- The last CBS Brewcast airs on 1550AM in San Francisco.
- February 2, 2009
- Jamil and Plise complete all the "styles" on "The Jamil Show". The last true styles show features Australian Sparkling Ale.
- February 16, 2009
- The newly formatted Jamil Show, "Can You Brew It?", co-hosted by Mike "Tasty" McDole, debuts.
- June 17, 2009
- The Brewing Network's 4th Anniversary Party live from Linden St. Brewery.
- June 16, 2010
- The Brewing Network's 5th Anniversary Party and Northern Brewer's 17th Anniversary live from Northern Brewer World HQ in Roseville, Minnesota.
- August 26, 2010
- The Homebrewed Chef hosted by Sean Z. Paxton debuts.
- May 16, 2013
- Dr Homebrew hosted by JP debuts.
- Justin "Brewcaster J" Crossley - founder, host
- Jonathan Plise - co-founder, co-host (Sunday Session, Jamil Show, 2005–2009, 2013-present)
- Dr. Scott "Doc" Lothamer - resident homebrewing expert (Sunday Session)
- Jamil Zainasheff - host, style expert (Jamil Show, Brew Strong)
- Jason "JP" Petros - co-host (Sunday Session, Lunch Meet)
- Mike "Tasty" McDole - resident homebrew expert (Sunday Session, Jamil Show)
- Beverly "Beevo" Moore - chat moderator (Sunday Session, 2007–present)
- John Palmer - co-host (Brew Strong, 2008–present)
- Scott "Moscow" Moskowitz - producer (FreeFM show, Sunday Session, 2007–present)
- Daniela Perl - chat moderator, co-host (Sunday Session, 2005–2007)
- Chad "Shat" Moshier - producer (2005 - 2010)
- Shaun "Sully" O'Sullivan - co-host (FreeFM show, 2006–2008)
The Brewing Network currently broadcasts multiple live shows via the Internet streaming audio. When no live show is being performed, past shows are re-broadcast on the Internet stream. The shows currently in rotation (as of November 24, 2009) are listed below.
- The Session - Live show broadcast at 5pm Pacific time most Sundays, occasionally 6pm Mondays
- The Jamil Show: Brewing with Style, 2 shows broadcast live first Tuesday of every month, archived and released alternating Tuesdays.
- Brew Strong - The everything-you-could-ever-want-to-know-about-beer show, broadcast live on a mixed schedule, re-aired and archived on Mondays, alternating with "The Jamil Show."
- The Home Brewed Chef, Currently on hiatus, but not cancelled.
- Dr. Homebrew
- Lunch Meet - Live show broadcast at noon Pacific, rarely, but always on Fridays