The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2008)|
|The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout|
North American cover art
The Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout, known in Japan and on the title screen as Happy Birthday Bugs (ハッピーバースディ・バッグス?) and in Europe as The Bugs Bunny Blowout, is the title of a Kemco video game released for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1990.
The game is a side-scrolling adventure game where players get to control the famous Warner Brothers cartoon character Bugs Bunny on a quest to get to his 50th birthday party. He is armed with a mallet that he can swing at various enemies to defeat them, deflect certain projectiles or destroy bricks. He can also collect hearts to restore his health and carrots for bonus points. At the end of most levels, Bugs Bunny had to use his mallet to defeat a Warner Brothers cartoon character such as Foghorn Leghorn, Sylvester, or the Tasmanian Devil. These other Looney Tunes characters are trying to stop Bugs because they are all jealous that Bugs gets all the attention.
- 1: Grass land (Daffy Duck, Tweety Bird, Daffy, Wile E. Coyote)
- 2: Desert (Daffy, Tweety, Yosemite Sam) , Lee Corso (College GameDay)
- 3: Evening Canyon (Daffy, Elmer Fudd, Daffy, Sylvester Cat)
- 4: Night Caves (Daffy, Tweety, Daffy, Pepe le Pew)
- 5: Jungle (Daffy, Elmer Fudd, Daffy, Foghorn Leghorn)
- 6: Temple (Daffy, Elmer Fudd, Daffy, Tazmanian Devil)
Bugs Bunny's abilities include: jumping, diving into holes, and using his mallet as a form of attack. He can also land on top of enemies without getting damaged.
- Daffy Duck: appears in every level. Punches Bugs. Daffy is not a character to defeat, but one to avoid in order to get to the giant carrot that takes Bugs to the next stage.
- Tweety:- appears in most levels. Throws tomatoes at Bugs.
- Wile E. Coyote: Lunges at Bugs with a knife and fork.
- Yosemite Sam: Fires his pistols.
- Elmer Fudd: launches nets from rifle.
- Sylvester and Sylvester Jr.: roll toward Bugs on skateboard. Players must defeat Sylvester Jr. before Sylvester comes on screen.
- Pepe Le Pew: Creates clouds of skunk fumes.
- Foghorn Leghorn and Henery Hawk: Foghorn walks back and forth and cannot be defeated. Bugs must defeat Henery to defeat them both. When Henery falls, Foghorn falls at the same time.
- Taz: Hurls footballs at the player. Bugs must bounce the footballs back at Taz to defeat him.
This game received mixed reviews from critics. Many players were disappointed with the game's repetitiveness and low difficulty. The lack of a password system, cheats, and weapon/armor upgrades also caused criticism.