Buzz ng Bayan
|Buzz ng Bayan|
Title card for Buzz ng Bayan
|Created by||ABS-CBN Corporation|
|Written by||Kamille Abrenica
|Directed by||Jonathan Diaz|
|Presented by||Boy Abunda
Janice de Belen
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|Original language(s)||Filipino, English|
|No. of episodes||767 (as of March 2, 2013)|
|Executive producer(s)||Nancy Benito-Yabut|
|Running time||1 hour and 30 minutes|
|Original run||As The Buzz:
June 13, 1999 – October 13, 2013
As Buzz ng Bayan:
October 20, 2013 – present
|Preceded by||Showbiz Lingo
(January 19, 1992–May 11, 1997)
Showbiz Lingo Plus
(May 11, 1997-June 6, 1999)
Buzz ng Bayan (lit. Buzz of the Nation, formerly known as The Buzz) is a weekly entertainment news and talk show in the Philippines. Premiering on June 13, 1999, it is the undisputed Sunday talk show in Philippine television and the longest-running weekly entertainment news and talk show on ABS-CBN. It features local celebrity gossip and news.
The Buzz (1999–2013)
The Buzz premiered on June 13, 1999 and was originally hosted solely by Boy Abunda. The show's original format was similar to ABS-CBN's "The Correspondents" where Boy interacts with a group of showbiz field reporters dishing out the latest showbiz news. The format was later on discarded when the network took in Kris Aquino during the show's second season on January 9, 2000. Kris' inclusion in the show served as a reunion of sorts between her and Boy, when they used to host "Startalk" on GMA-7. The show became an interesting gabfest with Kris and Boy dishing out the latest exclusives with the help of its reliable staff. In 2003, the duo welcomed an additional host in Cristy Fermin, who used to headline ABS-CBN's Saturday talk show "Showbiz Sabado (S2)".
On March 11, 2007, Ruffa Gutierrez became the temporary replacement for Kris Aquino. Dawn Zulueta also served as a guest co-host when Ruffa Gutierrez went to the United States for a vacation. When Gutierrez returned, the network offered her a permanent co-hosting job on The Buzz.
Cristy Fermin was suspended from late 2008 by the network after she rattled off a series of accusations against former actress Nadia Montenegro in an episode aired on October 5, 2008. According to a statement released by the network, "It was deemed that Ms. Fermin did not conduct herself with due regard to social conventions and public morals. Her statements went beyond the bounds of decency as they involved innocent children who are not party to their personal dispute. Ms. Fermin's statements violated the highest standards of professionalism and journalistic integrity."
In the October 19, 2008 episode of The Buzz, Ai-Ai de las Alas served as a substitute host in the absence of Cristy Fermin, until Kris Aquino's return.
Aquino left The Buzz on June 27, 2010 after being an on and off main host of the show for ten years. The reason for her leaving the show is that she will be spending time with her family and for her not to cause any issues while her brother Noynoy Aquino is in office as President of the Philippines.
Buzz ng Bayan (2013–present)
Current on-air staff
- Phoemela Baranda (2004–present)
- Roxy Liquigan (voice-over; 2004–present)
- Eric John Salut (voice-over; 2004–present)
- Aida Espiritu (resident Bayan Buzzer; 2013–present)
- Onse Tolentino (resident Bayan Buzzer; 2013–present)
- Kris Aquino (2000–2010; 2012)
- Ricky Lo (1999–2003)
- Cristy Fermin (2003–2008)
- Ruffa Gutierrez (2007–2010)
- KC Concepcion (2010–2011)
- Charlene Gonzales (2010–2013)
- Toni Gonzaga (2010–2013)
Former segment presenters
- John Lapus (1999–2005)
- Dolly Ann Carvajal (1999–2000)
- Tim Yap (1999–2000)
- Angelica Jones (2000–2001)
- Pat-P Daza-Planas (2000–2002)
- JV Villar (2002)
- AJ Dee (2003–2004)
- Chokoleit (2004)
- Pokwang (2004)
- Anne Curtis (2004–2005; 2009)
- Jobert Sucaldito (2006–2010)
- "Kris unsure of comeback to 'The Buzz'". ABS-CBN News. May 8, 2007.
- "Dawn Zulueta returns to television via "The Buzz"". Philippine Entertainment Portal. June 4, 2007.
- "Ruffa Gutierrez signs one-year contract with ABS-CBN". Philippine Entertainment Portal. June 7, 2007.
- "Cristy Fermin suspended for two months". The Philippine Daily Inquirer. October 15, 2008.
- "Ai-Ai delas Alas wants to make peace with James Yap". Philippine Entertainment Portal. October 21, 2008.
- "Ruffa Gutierrez: No goodbyes". abs-cbnNEWS.com. 2010-03-15. Retrieved 24 March 2010.
- "KC Concepcion accepts The Buzz hosting job". Philippine Entertainment Portal. April 6, 2010.
- "Kris Aquino says goodbye to The Buzz". Philippine Entertainment Portal. June 28, 2010.
- "Kris Aquino bids goodbye to The Buzz". abs-cbnNEWS.com. June 28, 2010.
- "Toni Gonzaga and Charlene Gonzalez are the new hosts of The Buzz". abs-cbn.com. July 11, 2010.
- "Wala Na Si KC Concepcion sa The Buzz". pep.ph. December 16, 2011.