The Cairns Post
First office of The Cairns Post, 1886
|Editor||Andrew Van Smeerdijk|
|Founded||10 May 1883|
The Cairns Post is a major News Corporation newspaper in Far North Queensland that exclusively serves the Cairns area. It has daily coverage on local, state, national and world news, plus a wide range of sections and liftouts covering health, beauty, cars and lifestyle. The Cairns Post is published every weekday and a weekend edition which is called The Weekend Post which is published on Saturday's.
In 2013, The Cairns Post won the award for best regional newspaper in Australia under their leadership of then editor Neil Meloy.
As of 2014 the new editor is Andrew Van Smeerdijk.
A prior newspaper that was also called The Cairns Post was first published on 10 May 1883. It was founded by Frederick Thomas Wimble. It was published weekly until 1888 then bi-weekly until 1893.
- The Cairns Post, 5 July 1909
- "The Cairns Post". Cairns.com.au. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- McQueen, Humphrey. "Wimble, Frederick Thomas (1846–1936) – Biographical Entry". Australian Dictionary of Biography. Adbonline.anu.edu.au. Retrieved 2013-02-12.
- "The Knob, A History of Yorkeys Knob" by Mary T Williams, published in October 1986
- Rod Kirkpatrick "The First Cairns Post" chs bulletins 282/283 June/July 1983