The Carbon Neutral Company
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2013)|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Number of locations||London, New York, Singapore|
|Products||Offset inclusive carbon reduction solutions|
The CarbonNeutral Company is a global provider of carbon reduction solutions. Founded in 1997, the company has been one of the first providers of voluntary carbon offset credits in the world. Today, the company works with over 350 businesses in 35 countries to help them measure and reduce their carbon emissions, primarily through the sale of carbon offsets. The CarbonNeutral Company is the issuer of the CarbonNeutral certification which is underpinned by The CarbonNeutral Protocol.
In the 1990s, when climate change started to be discussed by the broader public and the Kyoto Protocol constituted a compliance market for greenhouse gas emissions, the private sector started to take voluntary action.
In 1997, Sue Welland and Dan Morrell founded the company as Future Forests in an effort to engage the private sector voluntarily to take responsibility for their impact on the climate. The company offered both companies and individuals the chance to offset the emissions that they are responsible for. In 1998, the company registered the CarbonNeutral trademark and provided clients who offset their emissions a certificate of being CarbonNeutral.
First famous supporters were artists like Joe Strummer, who developed the idea for the business together with the founders of the company around a campfire in 1996. Other notable customers and supporters were Al Gore, The Rolling Stones, who went for the first CarbonNeutral rock tour around the U.S. in 2003, Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Dido, Orlando Bloom, Brad Pitt and Leonardo DiCaprio, who became the first CarbonNeutral citizen in 2003. In 2004, The Day After Tomorrow received CarbonNeutral movie status.
The CarbonNeutral Company offers carbon reduction solutions by helping companies to measure and reduce their carbon emissions and offset the remainder.
The company’s approach is to help its clients plan their carbon management strategy, measure carbon emissions, set targets for reductions, reduce emissions through a combination of internal reductions and carbon offsets and communicate the action that has been taken in a credible manner.
The CarbonNeutral Company was voted the Best Offset Retailer in 2013 for the third year running by Environmental Finance readers.
Projects and standards
The company has worked with 250 projects in 30 countries and contracted approximately 8 million tonnes of CO2e. To ensure quality in its operations, the company developed a global standard for carbon neutral certification: The Carbon Neutral Protocol which lays out the requirements a business must meet in order for it, its services or its products to be certified CarbonNeutral.
According to this protocol, all projects must be validated and verified by independent third parties such as the Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), Gold Standard and Climate Action Reserve (CAR). The company’s operations are audited by PwC to ensure proper retiring of credits and no double counting.
Certifications and clients
The CarbonNeutral certification is a carbon eco label certifying a net zero carbon footprint. Currently, the company is working with approximately 350 clients in over 35 countries providing certifications for CarbonNeutral companies, CarbonNeutral services and CarbonNeutral products.
- Mitigation of global warming
- Climate change
- Carbon neutral
- Carbon offsets
- ICROA (Industry group of carbon offset providers)
- Verified Carbon Standard
- Baderman, Law, Everyday Legends, (2006), pp. 80–85.
- Adams, Jones, Doodson, Patel, Rees, Thompson, Carbon Jargon, (2008), pp.4-5.
- http://www.carbonneutral.com/interface/files/aboutus/qualityassurance/The%20CarbonNeutral%20Protocol.pdf The CarbonNeutral Protocol
- http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp Patent and Trademark office
- Financial Times, Why pop stars love to plant trees, 20.03.2003.
- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/trivia The Day after Tomorrow
- http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Carbon-Neutral-Shipping-bw-2856891288.html?x=0&.v=1 Yahoo Finance
- http://www.flysas.com/en/SAS-for-business/Conventions/Carbon-offset/?vst=true Scandinavian Airlines
- http://www.avis.co.uk/blaharchivex00/1-Campaigns-old/Avis-Preferred-Discount/Avis-CarbonNeutral Avis Europe
- Baderman, James; Law, Justin (2006). Everyday Legends. York: Heslington. pp. 80–85. ISBN 0-9550132-1-6.
- Adams, Tania; Jones, Emma; Doodson, Camilla; Patel, Sonja; Rees, Richard; Thompson, Marion (2008). Carbon Jargon. London: Pan Macmillan Ltd. pp. 4, 5. ISBN 978-1-84525-055-3.