The Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church
|The Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church|
|Live album by The Carla Bley Big Band|
|Recorded||July 19, 20 & 21, 1996|
|Producer||Carla Bley & Steve Swallow|
|Carla Bley chronology|
The Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church is a live album by American composer, bandleader and keyboardist Carla Bley recorded in Perugia, Italy as part of the Umbria Jazz Festival and released on the Watt/ECM label in 1996.
The Allmusic review by Stacia Proefrock awarded the album 4½ stars and stated "The Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church is a perfect showcase for the forward-thinking compositions and arrangements of Carla Bley... Not quite as experimental as her earlier compositions, this album manages, regardless to be among her best work in the '90s". The Penguin Guide to Jazz awarded it 3⅓ stars stating "The best Bley album since Fleur Carnivore? " The JazzTimes review by Willard Jenkins said "the music bears resemblance to what one might expect from an enlightened 21st century church service".
|Penguin Guide to Jazz|||
- All compositions by Carla Bley except as indicated
- "Setting Calvin's Waltz" - 23:51
- "Exaltation/Religious Experience/Major" (Carl Ruggles/Bley/Bley) - 9:33
- "One Way" - 8:29
- "Beads" - 8:27
- "Permanent Wave" - 10:07
- "Who Will Rescue You?" - 7:52
- Recorded live at Chiesa San Francesco Al Prato, Umbria Jazz, Perugia, Italy on July 19–21, 1996.
- Carla Bley - piano
- Lew Soloff, Guy Barker, Claude Deppa, Steve Waterman - trumpet
- Gary Valente, Pete Beachill, Chris Dean - trombone
- Richard Henry - bass trombone
- Roger Janotta - flute, soprano saxophone, alto saxophone
- Wolfgang Puschnig - alto saxophone
- Andy Sheppard, Jerry Underwood - tenor saxophone
- Julian Argüelles - baritone saxophone
- Karen Mantler - organ, harmonica
- Steve Swallow - bass guitar
- Dennis Mackrel - drums
- Carla Bley discography accessed August 12, 2010
- Proefrock, S. Allmusic Review accessed August 12, 2010
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. p. 131. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Jenkins, W. Carla Bley Big Band Goes to Church Review JazzTimes, May, 1997