The Cats of Copenhagen
|The Cats of Copenhagen|
1st edition cover
|Media type||Print (hardback)|
"The Cats of Copenhagen" is a posthumously-published short story written by Irish author James Joyce and illustrated by American artist Casey Sorrow. Written in 1936 for his grandson Stephen James Joyce, it was not published until 2012, when Joyce's work entered the public domain in certain jurisdictions.
Ithys Press published their fine arts edition of The Cats of Copenhagen in January 2012. This edition features original pen and ink illustrations by Casey Sorrow, letterpress typeset by Michael Caine, and handmade paper marbling and binding of Christopher Rowlatt.
The publication attracted controversy, as the Zürich James Joyce Foundation's Fritz Senn expressed disappointment that the script of The Cats of Copenhagen had been copied from a letter held at the Foundation without consultation or discussion.
|The Cats of Copenhagen||English||Ithys Press||January 2012||9780957068414||Casey Sorrow|
|The Cats of Copenhagen||English||Simon & Schuster (Scribner)||October 16, 2012||9781476708942||Casey Sorrow|
|I gatti di Copenhagen||Italian||Giunti Editore||October 24, 2012||9788809777675||Casey Sorrow|
|ΟΙ ΓΑΤΕΣ ΤΗΣ ΚΟΠΕΓΧΑΓΗΣ||Greek||Psichogios Publications||October 30, 2012||9789604969852||Casey Sorrow|
|Koebenhavnerkatte||Danish||Gyldendal||November 2012||9788702132953||Casey Sorrow|
|Mačke Kopenhagena||Croatian||Edicije Božičević||2013||9789536751846||Casey Sorrow|
|Die Katzen von Kopenhagen||German||Carl Hanser Verlag||July 2013||9783446241596||Wolf Erlbruch|
|哥本哈根的貓||Chinese||Chein Hsing Publishing||September 2013||9789866798719||Casey Sorrow|
|Los gatos de Copenhague||Spanish||Editorial Losada||September 2013||9789500399708||Casey Sorrow|
|De Katten Van Kopenhagen||Dutch||Hoogland & Van Klaveren||October 2013||9789089671394||Wolf Erlbruch|
|O kočkách a Kodani||Czech||Albatros Media||October 23, 2013||9788000033099||Casey Sorrow|
|Les chats de Copenhague||French||Grasset & Fasquelle||November 2013||9782246801115||Casey Sorrow|
- "Copyright Status of Currently Unpublished Material", International James Joyce Foundation.
- "James Joyce children's story The Cats of Copenhagen gets first publication", Ithys Press
- "Art Odyssey". ImagineFX (82): p.22. May 2012.
- "Casey Sorrow and his Cats", Ithys Press
- "Michael Caine, book artist", Ithys Press
- "Christopher Rowlatt – taking the stylus for a walk", Ithys Press
- Alison Flood, "James Joyce children's story The Cats of Copenhagen gets first publication", The Guardian, 9 February 2012
- Sophie Douez, "New Joyce book creates controversy in Zurich", Swiss Broadcasting Corporation, 17 March 2012
- Florence Waters, "James Joyce's children's story sparks publishing row", The Telegraph, 10 February 2012
- "James Joyce children's book sparks feud", BBC News, 10 February 2012
- Deidre Wengen, "Publication of a James Joyce children's story causes controversy", PhillyBurbs, 14 February 2012
- Terence Killeen, "Joyce children's story published in Dublin to dismay in Zürich", Irish Times, 8 February 2012
- "The Cats of Copenhagen", Simon & Schuster
- "I gatti di Copenhagen", Giunti Editore
- "ΟΙ ΓΑΤΕΣ ΤΗΣ ΚΟΠΕΓΧΑΓΗΣ", Psichogios Publications
- "Koebenhavnerkatte", Gyldendal
- "Mačke Kopenhagena", Edicije Božičević
- "哥本哈根的貓", Chein Hsing Publishing
- "O kočkách a Kodani", Editorial Losada
- "De Katten Van Kopenhagen", Hoogland & Van Klaveren
- "O kočkách a Kodani", Albatros Media
- "Les chats de Copenhague", Grasset & Fasquelle