The Chinese Woman
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
|"The Chinese Woman"|
|Episode no.||Season 6
|Directed by||Andy Ackerman|
|Written by||Peter Mehlman|
|Original air date||October 13, 1994|
|Season 6 episodes|
|List of Seinfeld episodes|
Jerry and Elaine see George's father, Frank Costanza, with a man in a cape (Larry David), but don't say hello. Jerry talks to a woman, Donna Chang (played by Angela Dohrmann), on George's phone line after the wires get crossed and he gets a date with her, thinking she's Chinese because of her surname. Kramer goes to a fertility clinic. Elaine ruins her friend Noreen's latest romance with a "long talker." George's life is made miserable when the man in the cape is revealed to be Frank's lawyer and his parents are separating. Kramer discovers he has a low sperm count and must stop wearing jockey shorts. Boxer shorts make him feel uncomfortable, so he decides to go commando. Later, Jerry meets Donna, who is not Chinese, but actually shortened her last name Changstein to Chang while taking on Chinese stereotypes, such as displaying interest in acupuncture or on one occasion pronouncing a word with a Chinese accent.
Donna talks over the phone to George's mother, Estelle, convincing her not to divorce (by citing Confucius). When George introduces Donna to his parents, Estelle realizes she is not Chinese and doesn't acknowledge her advice, deciding to proceed with the divorce.
At the end of the episode, Noreen is standing on the edge of the Queensboro Bridge considering jumping off when Frank Costanza's caped lawyer appears. She asks, "Who are you?" He responds, "I'm Frank Costanza's lawyer." He then leads her slowly and safely off the bridge.
- George [on Jerry's answering machine]: Hey, it's George...I got nothin' to say.
- Elaine: Donna Chang?
- Jerry: I should have talked to her. I love Chinese women.
- Elaine: Isn't that a little racist?
- Jerry: If I like their race, how can that be racist?
- Elaine: She's not Chinese?
- Jerry: No, not Chinese. Not even Asian!
- Elaine: So what is she?
- Jerry: Well, she's...like you.
- Elaine: ...Oh, how disappointed you must have been.
- Kramer: I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!
- Jerry: You can't cast aspersions on someone just because they're wearing a cape. Superman wore a cape! And I'll be damned if I'm gonna stand here and let you say something bad about him.