The Christians (Norway)
|The Christians Party|
|Founded||24 February 2011|
|Politics of Norway
The Christians was formed in response to the Christian Democratic Party abolishing their requirement that their party's representatives be of Christian faith. The party saw this as a step in the "de-Christianization" of the party, along with a perceived wider "de-Christianization" of Norway during the years of the Red–Green coalition government.
The party contested its first election in the 2011 local elections limited to the municipal council in Bømlo. They won 6.5% of the votes there, earning them two seats. Bømlo was selected to test support for the new party, with defected local Christian Democratic politicians heading their list. The choice of Bømlo was also symbolic as the original starting point of the Christianization of Norway by King Olaf Tryggvason a thousand years ago, with the party seeking to start anew a modern "re-Christianization" from the same place.
For the 2013 parliamentary election the party gained additional support from philosopher Nina Karin Monsen, Christian Democratic politician Anita Apelthun Sæle, and televangelist Jan Hanvold of Visjon Norge. It received 0.6% of the national vote, winning no seats but becoming second largest of the extraparliamentary parties.
The party considers its ideology to be built on "Judeo-Christian" values, and profiles itself as pro-life and pro-Israel, promotes the traditional family and opposition to same-sex marriage, and supports economic liberalism. Unlike the Christian Democrats, the party supports cooperation with the Progress Party.
- "De Kristne jakter på rike onkler". Dagen. 03.06.2014.
- "De Kristne". Store norske leksikon.
- Vil rekristne landet
- Svendsen, Roy Hilmar; Svåsand, Maria Pile (21 April 2012). "Nå vil De Kristne innta Stortinget" (in Norwegian). NRK. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- "Fritt Ord-vinner stemmer De Kristne". Dagen. 03.09.2013.
- "KrF-veteran stemmer De Kristne". Dagen. 09.09.2013.
- "Oppfordrer til bønn og faste for De Kristne". Dagen. 28.08.2013.
- "Valgresultat > Partier > De Kristne". Norsk rikskringkasting AS (in Norwegian). September 2013. Retrieved 11 September 2013.
- Våre hjertesaker
- De Kristne og valget
- De Kristne håper på KrF-avhoppere
|This article about a Norwegian political party is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|