The City Academy Bristol
|Trust||One World Learning Trust|
|Joint Acting Principals||Paul Skipp & Caroline Down|
|Location||Russell Town Avenue
|DfE URN||134221 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Built on the site of St George Community College which closed in 2003, it is housed in buildings within a new £30 million complex. The school also provides adult education to about 1,200 people.
Each student is awarded positive or negative behavioural event logs at the teachers' discretion. These are added to the house point system thereby directly linking house success to classroom behaviour. This system is fully electronic and is dependent on the school's ability to afford sufficient computer access around the school.
In October 2013 One World Learning Trust, the academy's operator, was issued with a "pre-warning notice letter" by the Department for Education because the academic performance of the academy was unacceptably low.
In 2014 the school lost a racial discrimination employment tribunal case for repeatedly overlooking a black employee for promotion. Investigation showed that other black staff had been overlooked when appointing three white managers. The academy said "We are deeply sorry and extending our sense of sorrow to those involved".
During 2014 the school had two incidents of losing or failing to submit coursework required for external exams, causing pupils to have to retake a year of their education. In March 2015 the school announced a partnership with the Cabot Learning Federation, a major operator of Academies in Bristol, after Ofsted had issued an inadequate rating in an inspection report in January 2015, and the school was placed into special measures status.
- "About Us - Principal's Vision & Message". The City Academy Bristol. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Marc Rath (17 June 2014). "Bristol's City Academy principal to stand down at end of year". Bristol Post. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Laura Churchill (20 March 2015). "The City Academy Bristol - previously hailed as remarkable - placed into special measures". Bristol Post. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Cash awards for exam success". BBC. 14 August 2003. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Establishment: St George Community College". Edubase. Department for Education. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Lord Nash (17 October 2013). "Pre- Warning Notice Letter to the Directors of One World Learning Trust in relation to The City Academy, Bristol" (PDF). Department for Education. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Bristol academy worker wins race discrimination damages". BBC. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Marc Rath (3 May 2014). "Bristol school must pay £14,000 compensation for race discrimination". Bristol Post. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Row after GCSE coursework at Bristol's City Academy 'lost'". BBC. 30 June 2014. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Marc Rath (22 July 2014). "City Academy teacher vanishes with students' coursework - so they have to retake the year". Bristol Post. Retrieved 12 January 2015.
- Freddie Whittaker (26 March 2015). "Struggling City Academy Bristol calls in RSC David Carter's old chain after Ofsted 'inadequate' rating". Schools Week. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "School performance tables: The City Academy Bristol". DfE. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "School performance tables: The City Academy Bristol". DfE. 2008. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Official website
- The City Academy Bristol - Performance Sport
- The City Academy Bristol - Sports Centre
|This article relating to a school or sixth form college in Bristol is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an English sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|