The Colorado Independent
|Type of site||News|
|Created by||David Bennahum|
|Alexa rank||368,707 (April 2014[update])|
The Colorado Independent (formerly known as Colorado Confidential) is a news website started on July 11, 2006 by author and former Wired contributor, David Bennahum. In its first year, it reported that it posted more than 2300 stories, had more than 800,000 page views and more than 430,000 unique visitors. It also won awards from the Society of Professional Journalists and the Association of Capitol Beat Reporters. It features paid writers, and is funded by Center for Independent Media.
The Colorado Independent advertises itself as "an award-winning independently-produced political news daily featuring original and investigative reporting." It states that it consists of "a coalition of long-time progressive bloggers, freelance writers, and professional journalists" with the "aim is to enhance and expand the political dialogue in the Centennial State"
The Colorado Independent has several prominent journalists involved with it, including former Denver Post columnist Jim Spencer, Kay Jarvis, former Denver Post deputy managing editor of operations, and Editorial Mentor Rowena Alegría, veteran of twelve years at The Denver Post and currently editor and columnist at Spanish language publication Viva Colorado. Colorado Confidential Senior Fellow Cara DeGette is former editor-in-chief at the Colorado Springs Independent. Colorado Independent Managing Editor Wendy Norris previously wrote for Daily Kos. Jeff Morley, National Editorial Director for Colorado Independent is a former editor at The Washington Post. The contributors at The Colorado Independent include several others, including novelist and longtime journalist Dan Whipple and University of Colorado at Boulder journalism instructor Sandra Fish.
The Colorado Independent was growing, and adding staff that were being cut from conventional newspapers. But six reporters were cut a week after the 2008 U.S. elections, and now three full-time reporters and one intern remain.
- "Coloradoindependent.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Colorado Confidential: Our First Year in Pictures, Wendy Norris, The Colorado Confidential website, Wed Jul 11, 2007.
- Capitol Beat- Association of Capitol Reporters and Editors official website.
- Blogs 2.0: Colorado Confidential tries to give blogs a journalistic upgrade, Michael Roberts, Denver Westword News, October 26, 2006.
- About, Soapbox, The Colorado Confidential website, July 3, 2006
- Colorado Confidential to the Rescue, Michael Roberts, The Latest' Word, Westword blogs, Jul 24, 2007.
- Pelzer, Jeremy (November 10, 2008). "Colorado Independent lays off six in restructuring". PolitickerCO.com (Observer Media Group). Retrieved 2008-11-11.