The Colossal Connection
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into The Heenan Family. (Discuss) Proposed since April 2013.|
|The Colossal Connection|
|Members||André the Giant
7 ft 4 in (2.24 m)
6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
|852 lb (386 kg)|
The Colossal Connection was a professional wrestling tag team of André the Giant and Haku that competed in the World Wrestling Federation in 1989 and 1990. The team was managed by Bobby Heenan and a part of the Heenan Family.
André the Giant and Haku were both members of Bobby Heenan’s stable of wrestlers known as the Heenan Family but were joined together as a team in the latter half of 1989 to form the Colossal Connection. This was partly done because of André’s ailing health, hoping to prolong his career, but also to provide The Heenan Family with a replacement tag team to fill the void of Tully Blanchard and Arn Anderson (The Brain Busters) who were leaving the WWF to return to the NWA. The Colossal Connection appeared at The 1989 Survivor Series as part of the four-man team known as ”The Heenan Family" (along with Arn Anderson and Bobby Heenan). The team faced the ”Warriors” a team composed of the Ultimate Warrior, Jim Neidhart and The Rockers. André was quickly counted out in the opening moments of the match while Haku lasted a bit longer but ultimately lost.
After Survivor Series the Colossal Connection challenged the two time WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition, winning the titles on December 13, 1989 (shown on TV December 30), launching them into a feud with Demolition. Demolition regained the titles at WrestleMania VI. At WrestleMania, Haku and Heenan both turned on André.
While Demolition was the most frequent Colossal Connection opponent during their Tag Team championship run, Andre and Haku also defended against The Rockers and The Hart Foundation. The Colossal Connection also faced Hulk Hogan and the Big Bossman in a non-title match at a house show just before WrestleMania VI; Hogan and Bossman won, marking the only time (other than their WrestleMania VI match) that Andre and Haku lost a match as an official tag team. (The Hogan-Bossman vs. Colossal Connection match also marked one of the last matches pitting Hogan vs. André the Giant.)
Championships and accomplishments
- Shields, Brian; Sullivan, Kevin (2009). WWE Encyclopedia. DK. p. 66. ISBN 978-0-7566-4190-0.
- Brian Shields (2006). Main event – WWE in the raging 80s (4th ed.). Pocket Books. ISBN 978-1-4165-3257-6.
- prowrestlinghistory.com. "WWF Survivor Series Results (1989)". Retrieved April 17, 2007.
- Royal Duncan & Gary Will (2006). Wrestling Title Histories (4th ed.). Archeus Communications. ISBN 0-9698161-5-4.
- prowrestlinghistory.com. "WWF WrestleMania Results (VI)". Retrieved April 17, 2007.
- OWW Colossal Connection Profile
- "Wrestling Accelerator" Profile: Andre "The Giant"
- "Wrestling Accelerator" Profile: Haku