The Confessions Tour (album)
|The Confessions Tour|
|Live album by Madonna|
|Released||January 26, 2007|
|Recorded||August 16, 2006|
|Madonna video chronology|
The Confessions Tour is the second live album by American singer-songwriter Madonna. It was released on January 26, 2007 by Warner Bros. Records. Directed by Jonas Åkerlund, the album chronicles Madonna's 2006 Confessions Tour. It was recorded at Wembley Arena during the London dates of the tour, and was released in both CD and DVD format. The DVD contains the entire concert and the CD includes thirteen live songs only. The album became the first release from Semtex Films, a production company founded by Madonna in 2006.
The Confessions Tour received generally positive reviews from contemporary critics and won the Best Long Form Music Video category at the 50th Grammy Awards. After its release, the release reached number one on the official charts in Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Portugal and Spain. It received moderate success in her native country, peaking at number fifteen on the U.S. Billboard 200 albums chart. The Confessions Tour has sold more than 1.2 million copies worldwide.
Following the 2006 live release I'm Going to Tell You a Secret, Madonna released her second live album,The Confessions Tour. The album was recorded at Wembley Arena on August 15 and 16, 2006, during the London stop of her 2006 Confessions Tour, which was promoting her 2005 studio album Confessions on a Dance Floor. It was the first release from her new production company, Semtex Films and was released in both DVD and CD formats, capturing the tour as directed by Jonas Åkerlund. The DVD release consists of the full twenty-one song set list of the tour, while the CD captures thirteen highlights from the same. The tour was first shown on NBC during the Thanksgiving of 2006. This broadcast was edited, cutting the likes of "Paradise (Not For Me)". Madonna's performance of "Live to Tell", while hanging from a glass embellished crufcifix, faced strong reaction from the media and religious groups. "Live to Tell" was followed by the performance of "Forbidden Love" from the Confessions on a Dance Floor album, where Madonna took off a crown made of thorns from her head. Asian media and services company Fridae reported that the album was banned in Singapore, Malaysia and parts of East Asia, because of the inclusion of the performances in the DVD.
Stephen Thomas Erlewine from Allmusic felt that the CD version of the album was "not all that much fun to hear, even if the reinterpretations of the 20-year-old hits are interesting. The DVD doesn't feel as cold thanks entirely to the pizzazz of the visuals and the determined efficiency of the show, but even so, this is primarily of interest to the diehards who don't mind purchasing another live CD/DVD set just a year after the first." Ed Gonzalez from Slant Magazine felt that the concert finale in the album "is a reminder that Madonna's music need not be motivated by sex or politics to be good as long as it displays a smidgen of heart and soul." Thomas Inskeep from Stylus Magazine also complimented the finale of the tour. According to him, "[The Confessions Tour] is almost exclusively up-tempo, staged within an inch of its life yet more vivacious than anything she’s done in years. Its CD companion is a pared-down 13 tracks taken from the live show, and good God it smokes." However, he felt that the disc loses its momentum during the "Confessions" part, which demonstrates a trio of individuals confessing about their sufferings in life.
Tom Young from BBC Music said that he did not see the actual performances on the tour and felt that "some of the magnitude of the performance is lost and the track/scene changes appear needlessly long-winded. [...] As far as live albums go, this is a job well done." Stephen M. Deusner from Pitchfork Media gave a negative review for the album, stating "Madonna herself is mostly to blame. On stage, she draws from a deep well of amazing pop songs and has the money and power to reinvent this sort of traveling circus. So why not try to break down the wall between performance and audience and hold a gigantic rave? [...] Åkerlund gives you everything you don't want from a concert film: incessant quick cuts that you give you no sense of space or stage, overdubbed music and vocals that give you no sense of performance, and only a few shots of the audience to gauge their excitement." Mini Anthikad-Chhibber The Hindu commented that "Madonna pulls out all stops in this effort turn the world into a dance floor and one just has to doff one’s hat to her energy." At the 50th Grammy Awards held on February 10, 2008 at Staples Center in Los Angeles, The Confessions Tour won in the category of Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video.
In the United States, the album debuted at number fifteen on the Billboard 200 chart with first week sales of 40,000 according to Nielsen Soundscan. In Canada, it debuted at number two on the Canadian Albums Chart. The Confessions Tour was not able to enter the official ARIA Albums Chart, but debuted at number-one on the Australian Top 40 DVD chart, on the issue dated February 12, 2007. It was on top of the DVD chart for four non-consecutive weeks. At the year end Australian chart for 2007, The Confessions Tour became the twenty-seventh best selling DVD in Australia. The album was certified gold by the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA), for shipment of 10,000 copies in DVD units.
In the United Kingdom, it debuted at number seven on the UK Albums Chart. In Japan, the album reached number ten on the Oricon weekly albums chart and was present on the chart for twelve weeks. In Hong Kong, it was awarded a Gold Disc Award by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry for becoming one of ten biggest-selling international album for 2007.
Across Europe The Confessions Tour reached the top of the charts in Belgium (Wallonia), Italy, Portugal and Spain, while reaching the top ten of the rest of the European nations. In Mexico, New Zealand and Norway, the album just missed the top ten of the charts. The commercial success in Europe enabled the album to debut at position two on Billboard 's European Top 100 Albums chart, behind Norah Jones' studio album Not Too Late. The DVD of The Confessions Tour has sold more than 1.2 million copies worldwide.
|1.||"Future Lovers" / "I Feel Love"||Madonna, Mirwais Ahmadzaï / Donna Summer, Peter Bellotte, Giorgio Moroder||8:04|
|2.||"Get Together"||Madonna, Stuart Price, Anders Bagge, Peer Astrom||5:19|
|3.||"Like a Virgin"||Tom Kelly, Billy Steinberg||4:08|
|4.||"Jump"||Madonna, Price, Joe Henry||4:56|
|5.||"Confessions"||Madonna, Patrick Leonard, Daniel "Cloud" Campos, Sofia Boutella, Leroy "Hypnosis" Barnes||3:55|
|6.||"Live to Tell"||Madonna, Leonard||5:10|
|7.||"Forbidden Love"||Madonna, Price||4:24|
|10.||"Like It or Not"||Madonna, Christian Karlsson, Pontus Winnberg, Henrik Jonback||4:51|
|11.||"Sorry" (Remix)||Madonna, Price||3:37|
|12.||"I Love New York"||Madonna, Price||5:43|
|13.||"Ray of Light"||Madonna, William Orbit, Clive Muldoon, Dave Curtis, Christine Leach||6:26|
|14.||"Let It Will Be"||Madonna, Ahmadzaï, Price||7:32|
|15.||"Drowned World/Substitute for Love"||Madonna, Orbit, Rod McKuen, Anita Kerr, David Collins||5:00|
|16.||"Paradise (Not for Me)"||Madonna, Ahmadzaï||5:05|
|17.||"Music Inferno"||Madonna, Ahmadzaï / Leroy Green, Tyrone Kersey||7:49|
|18.||"Erotica"||Madonna, Shep Pettibone, Anthony Shimkin||4:47|
|19.||"La Isla Bonita"||Madonna, Leonard, Bruce Gaitsch||5:02|
|21.||"Hung Up"||Madonna, Price, Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus||9:24|
|1.||"Future Lovers" / "I Feel Love"||Madonna, Ahmadzaï / Summer, Bellotte, Moroder||8:00|
|2.||"Like a Virgin"||Kelly, Steinberg||4:13|
|3.||"Jump"||Madonna, Price, Henry||4:53|
|4.||"Confessions"||Madonna, Leonard, Campos, Boutella, Barnes||3:53|
|7.||"Sorry" (Remix)||Madonna, Price||3:44|
|8.||"I Love New York"||Madonna, Price||5:36|
|9.||"Let It Will Be"||Madonna, Price, Ahmadzaï||4:45|
|10.||"Music Inferno"||Madonna, Ahmadzaï / Green, Kersey||7:41|
|11.||"Erotica"||Madonna, Pettibone, Shimkin||4:55|
|13.||"Hung Up"||Madonna, Price, Andersson, Ulvaeus||9:50|
|iTunes Store bonus tracks|
|14.||"Get Together"||Madonna, Price, Bagge, Astrom||5:22|
|15.||"Ray of Light"||Madonna, Orbit, Muldoon, Curtis, Leach||6:12|
- CD/DVD – double disc digipak edition containing the live DVD and the live CD.
- DVD – DVD keep case packed with the DVD.
- Digital download – The live performances and the live song with 2 bonus tracks: "Ray of Light" and "Get Together".
Credits and personnel
- Director – Jonas Åkerlund
- Production company – Semtex Films, Semtex TV Productions
- Producer – Sara Martin
- Executive producers – Madonna, Angela Becker, Guy Oseary and John Payne
- Photography – Eric Broms
- Film editing – Jonas Åkerlund, Philip Richardson, Johan Söderberg and Danny Tull
- Costume designer – Jean-Paul Gaultier and Arianne Phillips
Charts and certifications
Chart precession and succession
Soundtrack '96–'06 by Elisa
|Italian Albums Chart number-one album
February 1, 2007 – February 15, 2007
Il vuoto by Franco Battiato
Siempre by Il Divo
|Spanish Albums Chart number-one album
February 4, 2007 – February 11, 2007
Recordando by Shaila Dúrcal
Ördögi Angyal by Ruzsa Magdi
|Hungarian Albums Chart number-one album
February 4, 2007 – February 18, 2007
Not Too Late by Norah Jones
Si aujourd'hui by Maurane
|Belgian Wallonia Albums Chart number-one album
February 10, 2007 – February 17, 2007
A Vida Que Eu Escolhi by Tony Carreira
|Portuguese Albums Chart number-one album
February 11, 2007 – March 8, 2007
A Vida Que Eu Escolhi by Tony Carreira
Corrida by Kabát
|Czech Albums Chart number-one album
February 11, 2007 – February 25, 2007
65 – Originální nahrávky největších hitů by Karel Svoboda
And Through It All: Robbie Williams Live 1997–2006 by Robbie Williams
Beside You in Time by Nine Inch Nails
|Australian Top 40 DVD chart number-one DVD
February 12, 2007 – March 5, 2007
March 12, 2007 – March 19, 2007
Beside You in Time by Nine Inch Nails
Farewell 1 Tour–Live from Melbourne by Eagles
|Europe||January 26, 2007|
|Worldwide||January 29, 2007|
|United States/Canada||January 30, 2007|
|Australia||February 3, 2007|
|South Korea||February 5, 2007|
|Japan||March 7, 2007|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas (2007-01-30). "allmusic ((( The Confessions Tour > Overview )))". Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Madonna The Confessions Tour (liner notes) 2007
- "Madonna sets up Semtex Girls". Contactmusic.com. 2006-02-19. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Inskeep, Thomas (2007-02-23). "Madonna – The Confessions Tour – Review". Stylus. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Editor, News (2007-02-06). "Singapore bans Madonna's Confessions Tour DVD for mock-crucifixion scene". Fridae. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Young, Tom (2007-02-21). "Review of Madonna – The Confessions Tour". BBC. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Anthikad-Chhibber, Mini (2007-05-28). "Madonna – The Confessions Tour". The Hindu (The Hindu Group). Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- Deusner, Stephen M. (2007-02-23). "Album Review: The Confessions Tour". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Gonzalez, Ed (2006-12-23). "Madonna: The Confessions Tour". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Press, Associated (2008-02-10). "Amy Winehouse dominates with 5 awards, Kanye West takes 4". National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences (MSNBC). Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- Cohen, Jonathan (2007-02-07). "Better 'Late' Than Never: Jones Debuts At No. 1". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-02-01.
- "allmusic ((( The Confessions Tour > Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums )))". Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "ARIA Top 40 DVD" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Pandora.nla. 2007-02-12. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "ARIA 2007 year-end chart" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association. Pandora.nla. 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "2008 DVD Accreditations". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2009-08-21.
- Sexton, Paul (2007-02-08). "Mika, Norah Jones Rule U.K. Charts". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- コンフェッションズ・ツアー・ライヴ (in Japanese). Oricon. 2007-03-07. Retrieved 2010-07-10.
- "Gold Disc Award > Gold Disc Award Criteria". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Madonna – The Confessions Tour (album) worldwide". Ultratop 50. Hung Medien. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Sexton, Paul (2007-02-15). "Norah Continues Euro Chart Supremacy". Billboard. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Live Nation (2007-10-16). "Madonna Joins Forces With Live Nation in Revolutionary Global Music Partnership". PR Newswire. Retrieved 2012-02-28.
- "Argentina's Top 20 albums, Segunda Quincena de Enero". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers. 2007-03-14. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- "TOP50 Prodejní – Madonna – Confessions Tour DVD". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 2010-04-29.
- "Chartverfolgung – Madonna – The Confessions Tour". Media Control Charts. Musicline.de. 2007-02-12. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Top 40 album- és válogatáslemez- lista". Mahasz. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége. 2007-02-18. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Poland's Top 50 Albums". OLiS. 2007-02-12. Retrieved 2009-10-15.
- "JAAROVERZICHTEN – ALBUMS 2007 (ANNUAL REVIEW – 2007 ALBUMS)". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "Los mas Vendidos – 2007ALBUMS)" (PDF). AMPROFON. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "Intérprete Título – Madonna – The Confessions Tour". Argentine Chamber of Phonograms and Videograms Producers. 2007-01-24. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Gold & Platin" (in German). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. 2007-02-23. Retrieved 2011-04-30.
- "Gold and Platinum certifications – Belgium". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Ultratop 50. 2007-03-12. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Certificados – Madonna" (in Portuguese). Associação Brasileira dos Produtores de Discos. Retrieved 2010-11-18.
- "Finland – Tilastot – Madonna". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. IFPI.fi. 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank ('The Confessions Tour')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie. Retrieved 2010-02-25.
- "Madonna – Certificaciones Encontradas". Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. 2007-03-14. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Polish Platinum certified albums". Związek Producentów Audio Video. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Discos de Ouro e Platina". Associação Fonográfica Portuguesa. 2007. Retrieved 2009-10-14.
- "Золотой и платиновый альбом в России / International 2011" [Gold and Platinum Sertifications in Russia / Internetional 2011] (in Russian). National Federation of the Phonogram Producers. Retrieved June 15, 2011.
- Madonna.com > Discography > The Confessions Tour
- Confessions Tour transmission at NBC
- The Confessions Tour at the Internet Movie Database