The Courtship of Eddie's Father (film)
|The Courtship of Eddie's Father|
|Directed by||Vincente Minnelli|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Written by||John Gay
Based on the novel by Mark Toby
|Music by||George Stoll|
|Cinematography||Milton R. Krasner|
|Edited by||Adrienne Fazan|
|Box office||$2,000,000 (U.S./Canada)|
Young Eddie Corbett tries his best to be a matchmaker for his widowed father, Tom. At first, sexy Dollye Daly seems promising, but she ends up falling in love with and marrying Tom's friend and radio colleague, Norman Jones.
Tom becomes attracted to a sophisticated socialite, Rita Behrens. They begin considering marriage, but Eddie takes an immediate dislike to Rita and she does not know how to deal with Eddie (nor does she particularly want to learn). In the end, Tom chooses his son over her.
Through all this, the Corbetts are supported by their new housekeeper, Mrs. Livingston, and by their divorced next-door neighbor, Elizabeth Marten. It takes a crisis for Tom to realize what has been under his nose all the time.
Roberta Sherwood, a night club singer and TV entertainer,made her film debut.
Pasternak says he interviewed hundreds of children to play Eddie but as soon as Ron Howard walked in "I knew he was right."
- Glenn Ford as Tom Corbett
- Ronny Howard as Eddie
- Shirley Jones as Elizabeth
- Dina Merrill as Rita
- Stella Stevens as Dollye
- Jerry Van Dyke as Norman
- Roberta Sherwood as Mrs. Livingston
- "Top Rental Features of 1963", Variety, 8 January 1964, p. 71. Please note figures are rentals as opposed to total gross.
- Trade in Stories for Filming Brisk: Brando's Partner Re-signed; Old Globe Prepares for Bard Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 13 June 1961: 25.
- Antidotes to the State of the World Butcher, Fanny. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 06 Aug 1961: c3
- Genevieve's Revue Short on Novelties: Jack Paar Discovery Tries 'Evening' on Intime Scale Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 21 Mar 1962: C15.
- Hamlet Tired of Taking Prattfalls Scott, John L. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 15 July 1962: A5.
- HOLLYWOOD CALENDAR: Anne Bancroft a Swinger in Tarzan League Scott, John L. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 17 Mar 1963: M8.
- Sick Movies? Can't Do 'Em---Pasternak: Stories Written in Blood, Not Ink, Industry's Need Scheuer, Philip K. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 25 Mar 1963: C11.
|This article about a romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|