The Crab Cooker
|The Crab Cooker|
|Slogan||"Eat lots a fish!"|
|Established||August 15, 1951|
|Current owner(s)||Bob Roubian|
|Food type||Seafood Restaurants|
|Street address||Corner of 22nd & Newport Blvd|
|Other locations||Tustin, California (1992)|
The Crab Cooker is a popular Southern California restaurant specializing in seafood, located on the Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, California. The restaurant is housed in an old branch building of the Bank of America located at 22nd & Newport Blvd. The logo of the bank prior to its merger with NationsBank can still be seen embedded in the corner of the building. It was established in 1951, and is considered a local landmark. In 1969, Venture Magazine rated it as one of the top two restaurants in the world.
Originally located at 28th Street and Marina, the restaurant got its start when owner Bob Roubian was offered the opportunity to take over a local fish market in August 1951. Roubian, a carpenter by trade, had helped remodel the market three years earlier and had an interest in fishing.
The outside of the restaurant is painted in bright red. Inside the restaurant, the decoration is a pastiche of unique items ranging from paintings by famous artists, theater chandeliers, pots and pans, a wrought-iron gate, nautical equipment – and a giant shark. The restaurant is known for its casual atmosphere. While a favorite local haunt, tourists from around the world visit to sample the cuisine and send one of their post cards, eat off of paper plates, and see the iconic fish sign. It is not uncommon to see patrons waiting in lines snaking down the street. These lines once elevated The Crab Cooker to national headlines when advance staff for then President Richard Nixon once asked Mr. Roubian to allow the president to be seated for dinner, and Mr. Roubian informed them that the president would have to wait along with rest of the folks (he says any president would have gotten the same treatment).
- Robinson, Alicia (August 8, 2005). "Change just sign of time". Daily Pilot.
- crabcooker.com History
- Reger, John (June 13, 2007). "RESTAURANT REVIEW: The Crab Cooker will reel you in". Daily Pilot.
- Goldner, Liz (November 1, 2001). "The Hottest 25 People in Orange County". OC Metro magazine (OC Metro magazine).
- Wylder, Greer (January 6, 2006). "Crab Cooker is no-frills relic of Newport's past". Daily Pilot.
- Evans, Elizabeth (March 8, 2007). "Nostalgia - and lots of fish - at The Crab Cooker". Orange County Register.
- OC Register
- Liddle, Alain Roubian's landmark Crab Cooker still reels 'em in after 48 years Nation's Restaurant News, June 7, 1999
- Edwards, Andrew (August 8, 2005). "Bureau points to 'OC' on map". Daily Pilot.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Crab Cooker.|