Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave
|Nancy Drew: The Creature of Kapu Cave|
The Creature of Kapu Cave is the 15th installment in the Nancy Drew point-and-click adventure game series by Her Interactive. The game is available for play on Microsoft Windows platforms. It has an ESRB rating of E for moments of mild violence and peril. Players take on the first-person view of fictional amateur sleuth Nancy Drew and must solve the mystery through interrogation of suspects, solving puzzles, and discovering clues. There are two levels of gameplay, Junior and Senior detective modes, each offering a different difficulty level of puzzles and hints, however neither of these changes affect the actual plot of the game. The game is loosely based on a book entitled Mystery on Maui (1998).  
Nancy Drew goes to Hawaii to serve as a research assistant to Dr. Quigley Kim, an entomologist. A devastating scourge is destroying the local pineapple crop. Residents are whispering that a secretive research compound has awoken the legendary Kāne 'Ōkala, a man who was killed in a volcano centuries ago and now prowls the Big Island wreaking havoc. Upon arriving, Nancy discovers Dr. Kim's camp has been ravaged, and Dr. Kim is missing. Coincidentally, the Hardy Boys are also on the island to complete a top-secret mission, so the three amateur detectives must team up to solve the mystery.
- Nancy Drew - Nancy is an eighteen-year old amateur detective from the fictional town of River Heights in the United States. She is the main playable character in the game, and the player solves portions of the mystery from her perspective.
- Frank Hardy and Joe Hardy - Frank and Joe are amateur detectives and old friends of Nancy. They are in Hawaii to investigate the Mapu family for a company who plans on offering Pua a lucrative endorsement contract. They assist Nancy with her case and provide her with helpful information. Frank and Joe are also playable characters, and the player solves portions of the mystery from their perspective.
- Big Island Mike Mapu - Mike Mapu runs "Big Island Mike's Immersion Excursions" with the help of his daughter Pua, but it seems like the tourists just aren't interested. He practically has to force tourists to catch fish, string necklaces, and go snorkeling. Could there be something shady about the way he does business?
- Dr. Quigley Kim - Dr. Kim is an absent-minded entomologist who has a tendency to digress. She is working hard to gain fame and funding. Too bad all the money is going to Dr. Craven's sophisticated facility instead. How far would she go to discover the latest breakthrough in entomology?
- Dr. Malachi Craven - Dr. Craven is the highly temperamental director of operations at the Hilihili Research Facility. He has attracted the funds of many investors. Dr. Craven keeps his work highly secretive, so no one knows what's happening in his lab. What is he working on that he wants to keep top-secret?
- Pua Mapu - Pua is a world-class surfer and the daughter of Big Island Mike. She helps run the business and spends every moment of her free time surfing or teaching others to surf. Could this seemingly sweet girl be hiding a dark secret?
- Ned Nickerson - Nancy's boyfriend. He can be called for hints and tips.
- Richard Aikens - Richard Aikens hired Frank and Joe to investigate the Mapu family. Call him to keep him updated on the case.
- Davey's Pawn Shop - Davey is useful for more information about the invoice left on the floor at the Immersion Excursion.
- Johnny Kuto - A freelance thief who broke into the Immersion Excursion. He can give you vital information about the case.
- Frank Hardy - Jonah Von Spreecken
- Joe Hardy - Rob Jones
- Ned Nickerson - Scott Carty
- Big Island Mike Mapu - Ross Douglas
- Dr. Quigley Kim / Phone Recording - Leslie Wadsworth
- Malachi Craven - Dan Murphy
- Pua Mapu - Judith Knowles
- Richard Aikens / Pawnbroker / Johnny Kuto / Yellow Suit Guard - Don Darryl Rivera
- Gate Guard - RFA Krolmeister
- Dr. Kim's Employer - Anne Grant 
In each of the games, there are different points where Nancy can make "fatal errors." These points are usually when she blows her cover as a detective or gets seriously injured. At such points, the game will stop and give the player the option to try again before the fatal error occurred. If the player doesn't wish to retry, then the game is over. The fatal errors in The Creature of Kapu Cave include:
- Killing all of the plants during fertilization.
- Waking up Dr. Craven while snooping.
- Going into the poisonous plant room without wearing a yellow suit.
- Drowning while snorkeling or while riding currents.
- Falling into the lava.
- Getting hit by a poisonous dart.
- Getting crushed by a boulder.
- Allowing the culprit to escape.
An award is given at the end of the game based on your sleuthing style. These are all of the possible awards:
- Avid Angler: For outstanding fishing skills.
- Big Island Billionaire: For amassing a small fortune in Big Island Bucks.
- Brain Freeze: For figuring out Big Island Mike's favorite flavor of shave ice in record time.
- Bug-Eyed: For accomplishing entomology-related chores in a remarkably timely fashion.
- Green Thumb: For making pod-picking and flower-fertilizing look easy.
- Hardy Helper: For letting Frank and Joe know what you learned about Richard Aikens.
- Kapu Kahuna: For doing everything in Kapu Cave right the first time.
- Pele Melee: For confronting an earthquake, molten lava, and the bad guys - and winning!
- Shell Shocked: For collecting at least one of every type of shell.
- South Sea Stringer: For superb necklace-making skills.
- Super Snooper: For discovering two or more Easter Eggs.
- Trash Talk: For getting Dr. Craven to confess that he trashed Quigley's Camp.
- Trinket Tycoon: For collecting so many charming, but totally useless, trinkets.
- Wikiwiki: For completing the game in record time.
To get an extra supply of free bait, do the following:
- Switch to Joe for the first time. Talk to Mike about everything except leaving his office. Make two Aloha necklaces and turn them in. Buy Goo EZ bait with the money. Catch one fish with the Goo EZ bait, then a set of Zippy's bait will appear out of nowhere! Talk to Mike about leaving his office. Catch fish until you have 5 uluas. You will have caught enough fish to rent the scuba gear.
Her Interactive may have been playing with the idea of giving Nancy a camera-phone in this game:
- As Frank, call Nancy at any point in the game. When the call has ended, press the blank button on the far left of Nancy’s phone. The phone and magnifying glass will disappear. Click again. The phone comes up, showing a picture of nothing. When you try to do this again by simply opening up the phone, it doesn't work.
References to Previous Games
References to previous games in the series include:
- Nancy's desk features a scrapbook which includes all of the previous games in the series.
- The fishing bait used to catch ulua is Zippy's Wiggle Bait. (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Old Clock)
- The GPS system in Nancy's vehicle and Dr. Kim's Formula Machine are manufactured by Krolmeister. (Nancy Drew: Secret of the Scarlet Hand)
- Heather McKay is one of the employees listed on Dr. Craven's PDA. (Nancy Drew: Danger By Design)
- This is the first game in the series:
- to use the updated 2006 logo.
- to offer different interface designs for the player to choose from.
- in which the player can control someone other than Nancy with the exception of playing as Frank Hardy for a small part in Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon.
- "Kapu" means "forbidden" in Hawaiian.
- Pua is the Hawaiian word for "flower", and is also an alternate name for the Hawaiian state flower.
- The Hardy Boys look different from Nancy Drew: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon due to Her Interactive hiring a new 3D character animator for the games.
- Pua sometimes says goodbye with the phrase "Book 'em, Danno!" This is a nod to Detective Lieutenant Steve McGarrett of the TV series Hawaii Five-O.
- Big Island Mike asks Frank if he is "playing Kojak". This is a reference to Detective Lieutenant Theo Kojak of the TV series Kojak.
- Many of the employees on Dr. Craven's PDA are actually current or former Her Interactive employees:
- Tim Burke, Maureen Carroll, Jessica Chiang, Jayme Cory, Mark Dygert, Megan Gaiser, Anne Grant, Sheri Hargus, Robert Hay, John Hayashi, Rob Klee, Maylene Kuahiwinui, Donovan Larsen, Anne Ludwick, Kelley Notter, Ayu Othman, Mike Paganini, Susan Sloan, Brent Strandy, Robert Riedl, Alena Saunders, James Silvers, Marc Templin, Mari Tokuda, and Kris Ulmer.
- Other names in Dr. Craven's PDA include Peter Parker, Hulk Hogan, and Homer Simpson
- "Nancy Drew The Creature of Kapu Cave | Girl Games Online". Herinteractive.com.
- "Nancy Drew The Creature of Kapu Cave IMDb".
Nancy Drew: Danger By Design
|Nancy Drew Computer Games||Succeeded by
Nancy Drew: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek