The Crow: New Songs for the 5-String Banjo is a 2009 album by Steve Martin, featuring Dolly Parton, Vince Gill, Earl Scruggs, Tim O'Brien, Tony Trischka and Mary Black. It contains 15 songs and is the first album focusing on Martin as a musician. Martin's 1977 comedy recording Let's Get Small, however, did feature him briefly playing the banjo during some of the comedy bits, and The Steve Martin Brothers devotes one side to banjo playing, including earlier renditions of some of the music presented here. It was first released on January 27, 2009 as an Amazon.com exclusive and then released to retail stores everywhere on May 19, 2009. On January 31, 2010, the album won the Grammy Award for Best Bluegrass Album at the 52nd Grammy Awards.
All songs written by Steve Martin except where indicated.
- "Daddy Played the Banjo" (Steve Martin & Gary Scruggs)
- "Pitkin County Turnaround" [Instrumental]
- "Hoedown at Alice's" [Instrumental]
- "Late For School"
- "Tin Roof" [Instrumental]
- "Words Unspoken" [Instrumental] (Steve Martin & Pete Wernick)
- Pretty Flowers
- "Wally on the Run" [Instrumental]
- "Freddie's Lilt" [Instrumental]
- "Saga Of The Old West" [Instrumental]
- "Clawhammer Medley" [Instrumental] (Traditional, arranged and additional music by Steve Martin)
- "Calico Train"
- "Banana Banjo" [Instrumental]
- "Blue River Waltz" [Instrumental]
- "The Crow" [Instrumental]
- "Calico Train" (Remix) [Instrumental]
- not included on all editions
A Deluxe Limited Edition was released June 16, 2009. It is packaged in a die-cut, fold-open, pop-up Digipak and contains Tracks 1 to 15 as listed above with the additions of:
- "Late For School" [Instrumental]
- "The Slow Crow" [Instrumental]
- "Calico Train" [Instrumental]
|U.S. Billboard 200
|U.S. Billboard Top Bluegrass Albums