The Daily Northwestern
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (July 2014)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (July 2014)|
The front page of The Daily Northwestern on May 27, 2008
|Owner(s)||Students Publishing Company|
The Daily Northwestern is a student newspaper at Northwestern University that is published on weekdays during the academic year. Established in 1881 and published in Evanston, Illinois, it is run entirely by undergraduates, many of whom are students at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism.
The Daily is widely considered one of the best college newspapers in the country. It is a frequent winner of the Columbia Scholastic Press Association and the coveted Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker Award. Its former staffers are leaders in the world of journalism; many have won awards such as the Pulitzer Prize.
Although it serves the Northwestern community, The Daily is unaffiliated with the university, being supported entirely by advertisers. It is owned by the Students Publishing Company, which also publishes the Northwestern Syllabus yearbook. Current circulation is in excess of 7,500. The Daily Northwestern is the only daily publication for both Northwestern and the city of Evanston, Illinois.
The paper's offices are located on the third floor of the Norris University Center on Northwestern's Evanston campus.
The Daily is the descendant of two earlier publications, the Tripod and Vidette, the older of which began publishing in 1871 alongside or ahead of the earliest college newspapers in the United States. In 1881, in what is considered The Daily's founding moment, the two papers merged to become The Northwestern, only gradually shedding its literary-journal roots. Publication was increased to five days a week by 1910. The newspaper became independent of the university in 1923.
Notable alumni of The Daily Northwestern
- J.A. Adande - ESPN.com sports columnist
- Michael John Anderson - editor, New York Times Book Review
- Kim Barker - ProPublica, author of "The Taliban Shuffle"
- Geraldine Baum - New York Bureau Chief for the Los Angeles Times and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Saul Bellow (published first short story in The Daily) - Nobel Prize-winning novelist
- Stephan Benzkofer - Chicago Tribune news editor
- Christine Brennan - USA Today sports columnist
- Elisabeth Bumiller - New York Times White House correspondent
- Rance Crain - founder of Crain Communications Inc.
- Lester Crystal - executive producer, News Hour with Jim Lehrer
- R. Bruce Dold - Pulitzer Prize-winning editorialist, Chicago Tribune
- John J. Edwards III - Wall Street Journal news editor
- Jonathan Eig - journalist and author
- David T. Friendly - film producer and Academy Award nominee
- Al From - Democratic Leadership Council CEO
- Jack W. Fuller - former Tribune Co. president and Pulitzer Prize winner
- Georgie Anne Geyer - editor, foreign correspondent, Chicago Daily News, L.A. Times
- Bob Greene - former columnist, Chicago Tribune; author
- Donal Henahan - Pulitzer Prize winner for Criticism
- Stephen Hunter - Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic, Washington Post
- Maura Johnston - Music editor, Village Voice
- Jonathan M. Katz - author, former Associated Press correspondent
- Walter Kerr - Famed Pulitzer Prize-winning theater critic for the New York Times, namesake of a Broadway theater
- Vincent Laforet - Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer
- Robert Leighton - The New Yorker cartoonist
- Jeffrey R. Lyon - Pulitzer Prize winner for Explanatory Journalism
- Edgar May - Pulitzer Prize winner for Local Reporting
- Garry Marshall - director, producer, famous for Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork and Mindy.
- Robert E. Mulholland - former president, National Broadcasting Company
- Brent Musburger - ABC sportscaster
- John Musker - writer and director of Disney's The Little Mermaid and Aladdin
- Charles F. Neubauer - Pulitzer Prize winner
- Bill Ostendorf - founder of Creative Circle Media Solutions, media trainer and software innovator
- Ralph Otwell - former Chicago Sun-Times editor
- Susan Page - USA Today White House correspondent
- Tom Philp - Pulitzer Prize winner
- Daniel Roth - Conde Nast business writer, formerly of Fortune magazine
- Sidney Sheldon - novelist
- Richard Stolley - founding editor of People magazine
- Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan - staff writer, Wall Street Journal
- Steven Twomey - Pulitzer Prize winner for Feature Writing
- John Walter - Atlanta Journal-Constitution managing editor
- David Weigel - Washington Post journalist
- Beth Whitehouse - Pulitzer Prize winner for Spot News Coverage
- Michael Wilbon - Washington Post sports columnist and host of Pardon the Interruption
- Lois Wille - Pulitzer Prize winner for Editorial Writing
- Columbia Scholastic Press Association : 2007 Collegiate Circle Recipients
- ACP - Contest Winners
- See alumni section
- The Daily Grind
- Both the Evanston Review and the Evanston Roundtable publish weekly, Evanston Now publishes only online
- The Daily Northwestern
- NU Library's 125th Anniversary Exhibit, 2006[dead link]
- The Daily Northwestern - Exhibit celebrates 125 years of The Daily
- Northwestern Syllabus Yearbook
- Northwestern University Archives, the Northwestern University Archives holds a complete run of the Daily Northwestern.