The Danish Girl (film)
|The Danish Girl|
|Directed by||Tom Hooper|
|Produced by||Tim Bevan
|Screenplay by||Lucinda Coxon|
|Based on||The Danish Girl
by David Ebershoff
Senator Film Produktion
Working Title Films
|Distributed by||Focus Features|
The Danish Girl is an upcoming American biographical drama film directed by Tom Hooper, based on the 2000 novel of the same name by David Ebershoff. The film stars Eddie Redmayne as Lili Elbe, one of the first known recipients of sexual reassignment surgery, Alicia Vikander as Gerda Wegener, along with Amber Heard and Matthias Schoenaerts. The release is expected to be scheduled for 2016. The first image of Redmayne as Lili Elbe was released on February 26, 2015. The film is set for a limited release in New York and Los Angeles on November 27, 2015.
In early 1920s Copenhagen, the illustrator and artist Gerda Wegener (Alicia Vikander) asks her husband, Einar Wegener (Eddie Redmayne) to stand in for a female model. The popularity of the portraits leads to Gerda painting her husband in further pictures as a woman. Einer develops an attraction for a female physical appearance and begins living as woman named Lili Elbe. Ultimately Elbe becomes the first ever recipient of male to female sex reassignment surgery, and Gerda supports her decision, although their marriage becomes strained when Gerda comes to the realization that Lili is no longer the person she married.
- Eddie Redmayne as Einar Wegener / Lili Elbe
- Alicia Vikander as Gerda Wegener
- Amber Heard as Oola
- Matthias Schoenaerts
- Ben Whishaw
In September 2009, Tomas Alfredson revealed to Variety that production on the project would precede that of his upcoming Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy adaptation. He added, "We have been in talks for close to a year, and we are soon going into production".
In December 2009, Swedish newspapers reported that Alfredson was no longer attached to direct The Danish Girl and would begin work on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy next. Alfredson said he regretted that reports of him working on The Danish Girl spread before the deal was finalized. He also said that he still wanted to make the film and might return to the project.
Charlize Theron was originally slated to play the role of Gerda Wegener but was replaced by Gwyneth Paltrow after leaving the project. Paltrow left the project due to location changes. Uma Thurman was also a rumoured replacement. In September 2010, Marion Cotillard was rumored to be the lead candidate for the role of Gerda Wegener.
On 11 June 2010, The Hollywood Reporter revealed that the film had received €1.2 million ($1.5 million) in subsidy financing from Germany's NRW Film Board. The conditions of the deal include the planned 19-day shoot in Germany. In February 2011, Screen Daily reported that the film would begin shooting in July of the same year and that Rachel Weisz would play Wegener. In May it was revealed that both Weisz and Hallström had left the project.
Filming began in February 2015. The first image of Redmayne as Lili Elbe was revealed on February 26, 2015.
- Paltrow Joins Kidman in "Danish Girl" Entertainment Weekly. 6 November 2009
- Alfredson right helmer for 'Danish' Variety. 15 September 2009
- "Tomas Alfredson hoppar av filmen med Nicole Kidman". Dagens Nyheter. December 7, 2009. Retrieved December 20, 2009.
- "Alfredson vill ännu göra Kidman-film". Svenska Dagbladet. December 13, 2009. Retrieved December 20, 2009.
- "Hallström gör film med Kidman – efter Alfredsons avhopp" (in Swedish). Aftonbladet. January 12, 2010. Retrieved January 12, 2010.
- Nicole Kidman and Gwyneth Paltrow to play husband and wife The Telegraph. 9 November 2009
- Gwyneth Paltrow Opens Up About Marriage, Talks Brad & Angelina Harper's Bazaar. May 2010
- Casting Call: Kidman Headed Back To Broadway
- Marion Cotillard reteams with Nicole Kidman in The Danish Girl
- How the strain may start to show as career-minded Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin set to spend time apart Daily Mail. 30 November 2009
- The serious business of becoming a woman Vancouver Sun. 16 February 2010
- 'Danish Girl' picks up German cash Hollywood Reporter. 11 June 2010
- Rehlin, Gunnar (14 February 2011). "Hallstrom set to start The Danish Girl shoot in July". Screen Daily. Retrieved 20 February 2011.
- Hallstrom leaves The Danish Girl, casts Persbrandt for The Hypnotist Screen Daily. 15 May 2011
- Lloyd, Kenji. "Eddie Redmayne Transforms Into Transgender Painter Einar Wegener in First Look at The Danish Girl". Final Reel.
- Sneider, Jeff (March 4, 2015). "Eddie Redmayne’s Transgender Drama ‘The Danish Girl’ Gets Awards Season Release Date". thewrap.com. Retrieved March 9, 2015.