The Day He Arrives
|The Day He Arrives|
|Revised Romanization||Bukchon Banghyang|
|Directed by||Hong Sang-soo|
|Produced by||Kim Kyeong-hee
|Written by||Hong Sang-soo|
|Narrated by||Yoo Jun-sang|
|Music by||Jeong Yong-jin|
|Editing by||Hahm Seong-won|
|Distributed by||Jeonwonsa Films
|Running time||79 minutes|
The Day He Arrives (Hangul: 북촌 방향; hanja: 北村 方向; RR: Bukchon Banghyang; MR: Pukch'on Panghyang) is a 2011 South Korean drama film written and directed by Hong Sang-soo. The film is in black and white. It premiered on 19 May 2011 in the Un Certain Regard section of the 64th Cannes Film Festival. The film had 45,223 admissions nationwide.
Seong-joon heads to Seoul to meet a close friend who lives in the Bukchon (North Village; Hangul: 북촌), Jongno District. When the friend doesn’t answer his calls, Seong-joon wanders around Bukchon and runs into an actress he used to know. The two talk for a while, but soon part. He makes his way down to Insadong and drinks makgeolli (rice wine) by himself. Some film students at another table ask him to join them—Seong-joon used to be a film director. He soon gets drunk and heads for his ex-girlfriend’s house.
Whether it’s the next day or some other day, Seong-joon is still wandering around Bukchon. He runs into the actress again. They talk and soon part. He eventually meets his friend and they head to a bar called Novel with a female professor his friend knows. The owner of the bar has a striking resemblance to Seong-joon’s ex-girlfriend. He plays the piano for her.
Whether it’s the next day or some other day, Seong-joon goes to the Jeongdok Public Library with his friend and mentions that it was the first place he chased after a woman. Later, they have drinks with a former actor who had been doing business in Vietnam. The same female professor joins them and the four go to the bar called Soseol (lit. Novel). Seong-joon gets drunk and ends up kissing the owner of the pub…
Seong-joon may have spent a few days in Seoul with his friend, or it may still be his first day there. He may have learned something from the encounter with his ex-girlfriend, or may have to meet the woman that resembles her again, for the first time. As life presents itself in no more than today’s worth of time, Seong-joon also has no other choice than to face his "today".
- Yoo Jun-sang as Seong-joon, a professor of film studies
- Kim Sang-joong as Young-ho, a film critic and friend of Seong-joon
- Song Seon-mi as Bo-ram, a professor of film studies
- Kim Bo-kyung as Kyung-jin (Seong-joon’s ex-girlfriend) / Ye-jeon (bar owner)
- Kim Eui-seong as Joong-won, an ex-actor
- Go Hyun-jung as a photographer
- Beck, Una (2011-09-07). "INTERVIEW: Director Hong Sang-soo - Part 1". 10Asia.
- Beck, Una (2011-09-07). "INTERVIEW: Director Hong Sang-soo - Part 2". 10Asia.
- "Press kit The Day He Arrives". Finecut.
- "Horaires 2011". festival-cannes.com (in French). Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved 2011-05-10.
- Official website (Korean)
- Official website (US)
- The Day He Arrives at the Internet Movie Database
- The Day He Arrives at the Korean Movie Database
- The Day He Arrives at HanCinema