The Dean's Cross
Established in November 2008, the Dean’s Cross award at Virginia Theological Seminary recognizes outstanding leaders who embody their baptismal vows to “strive for justice and peace among all people and respect the dignity of every human being.” Selected annually by the Seminary Dean in consultation with the Chair of the Board, the Honorees receive a handmade silver cross, modeled after the Seminary Chapel cross, and a certificate.
Recipients include the former President and Vice Chairman of the NASDAQ Stock Market, the Rector of the largest Episcopal Church in the country, as well as hymn writers and lay leaders of the Episcopal Church.
February 15, 2009
- Mrs. Octavia “Tay” Wood Cooper from New York, NY.
- The Rev. Canon Harold T. Lewis, Ph.D., D.D., D.C.L, rector of Calvary Episcopal Church in Pittsburgh, PA.
December 6, 2009
- The Rt. Rev. Carolyn Tanner Irish of Salt Lake City, UT.
- Mr. David R. Pitts from Baton Rouge, LA.
December 5, 2010
- Mr. Alfred Rives Berkeley III from Baltimore, MD.
- Mrs. Muriel Van Dusen Berkeley from Baltimore, MD.
- Mrs. Phoebe W. Griswold from Philadelphia, PA.
December 11, 2011
- Mr. Rowan LeCompte, from Waynesboro, VA
- The Rev. Dr. Joseph Walter Lund, Rancho Mirage, CA.
- Ms. Sissy Poland from Martinsburg, WV.
December 9. 2012
- The Rev. Dr. Russell J. Levenson, Jr. from Houston, TX.
- The Ven. Charles B. Tachau from the Diocese of Kentucky.
- Ms. Delois Burney Ward from Wake County, NC.
December 8, 2013
- Dr. Eben Alexander III from Lynchburg, Virginia.
- The Rev. Dr. Canon Michele V. Hagans from Silver Spring, Maryland.
- Virginia Theological Seminary
- The Very Rev. Ian S. Markham
- List of Virginia Theological Seminary people