The Departed (band)
|Origin||Yukon, Oklahoma, USA|
|Associated acts||Cross Canadian Ragweed,
Jason Boland & the Stragglers
Mike McClure Band
Jonathan Tyler and the Northern Lights
|Members||Cody Canada, Jeremy Plato, Chris Doege, Steve Littleton|
|Past members||Dave Bowen, Seth James|
The Departed (also known as Cody Canada and the Departed) is an American Red Dirt/Southern Rock band. The band was formed by Cross Canadian Ragweed frontman Cody Canada after Ragweed broke up in 2010. Canada’s longtime bassist Jeremy Plato followed and joined guitarist/vocalist Seth James, keyboard player Steve Littleton, and Drummer Dave Bowen. Chris Doege would eventually replace Bowen on drums.
Formation and This Is Indian Land
In 2011, Canada and fellow Ragweed musician Jeremy Plato formed a new band billed as Cody Canada & the Departed. The band consists of Canada (guitar/vocals), Plato (bass guitar/vocals), Seth James (guitar/vocals), Steve Littleton (keyboards) and Chris Doege (drums) who replaced original drummer, Dave Bowen. They released their first album in June 2011 titled This Is Indian Land through the band's own record label Underground Sound, consisting of covers written by Oklahoma songwriters.
On August 24, 2012, the band, now billing themselves as The Departed, announced through their website and social media that they would release their first original album titled Adventūs (Latin for Arrival). The album was released on November 13, 2012 through Underground Sound.
Leading up to the album's release, the band released the first single from Adventūs, titled "Worth the Fight." In February of 2013, the album's second single "Prayer For the Lonely" was announced, shooting for the music video also began.
Seth James Leaving and HippieLovePunk
In September 2013, Seth James announced that he intended to leave the band. James said in a statement: “After three years of great times and great music, I have decided to take a step down as a band member of the Departed. It has been an unbelievable ride and I am so grateful for the support and love along the way. My last show will be November 23 at Gruene Hall. I look forward to supporting these guys alongside you as they continue down the road.” The band continued performing as a four-piece group.
In 2014, the band finished a new album, titled HippieLovePunk. The album was released on January 13, 2015, and it debuted at No. 9 on the Top Country Albums chart, with 4,700 copies sold in the US in its debut week.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|This Is Indian Land||
|2011||"Staring Down the Sun"||Tony Gates|
|2012||"Worth the Fight"|
|2013||"Prayer for the Lonely"|
- Brandy McDonnell (September 16, 2013). "Cody Canada announces The Departed lineup changes, new solo acoustic live album due this fall". NewsOK.
- Jim Casey (July 21, 2014). "5 Minutes in Texas With Cody Canada". Rolling Stone.
- Matt Bjorke (January 21, 2015). "Country Album Chart Report For January 21, 2015". Roughstock.
- "Cody Canada Album & Song Chart History – Country Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "Cody Canada Album & Song Chart History – Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "Cody Canada Album & Song Chart History – Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "CMT : Videos : Cody Canada and The Departed : Staring Down the Sun". Country Music Television. Retrieved July 31, 2012.
- "CMT : Videos : The Departed : Worth the Fight". Country Music Television. Retrieved November 10, 2012.
- "CMT : Videos : Cody Canada & The Departed : Prayer for the Lonely". Country Music Television. Retrieved May 8, 2013.