Black Sabbath: The Dio Years
|Black Sabbath: The Dio Years|
|Compilation album by Black Sabbath|
|Released||3 April 2007|
|Recorded||1979–1982, 1992, 2007|
|Black Sabbath compilations chronology|
|Ronnie James Dio chronology|
|Tour Edition cover|
The UK Tour Edition cover.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Black Sabbath: The Dio Years is a 2007 compilation CD of material from recordings made during vocalist Ronnie James Dio's tenure in the band. The CD contains full album length, remastered tracks culled from all three studio albums: Heaven and Hell (1980), Mob Rules (1981), Dehumanizer (1992), and the live album Live Evil (1982). It also contains three new recorded songs: "The Devil Cried", "Shadow of the Wind", and "Ear in the Wall".
It was reported that the collection was first conceived of as a box set, in the vein of Black Box: The Complete Original Black Sabbath (1970–1978), containing all of the group's albums released from their post–Ozzy Osbourne period, starting from Heaven and Hell to The Eternal Idol. This idea was eventually scrapped, and another box set was planned only to feature the four albums recorded from the Dio era of the band. This second idea was put aside, eventually emerging into The Rules of Hell box set released in the summer of 2008.
In an interview conducted by Martin Popoff, Tony Iommi revealed that in fact three tracks were recorded: "Shadow of the Wind" (a slow tune), "The Devil Cried" (a mid-tempo rocker) and "Ear in the Wall" (a fast song), therefore changing the original plan for two new songs to accommodate all three tracks in the compilation. "The Devil Cried" was released as a single on 13 March 2007.
On 23 February 2007, both Eddie Trunk and Sirius Satellite Radio unveiled the song "The Devil Cried" from the upcoming album. Rhino Records subsequently made the track available (for preview only) on 26 February 2007. On the week of 13 March 2007, it became available for download at all digital outlets.
After the recording was completed the members decided to tour under the moniker Heaven & Hell. Dio and Iommi decided that the working partnership they had achieved in recording the 3 new songs would not be wasted, so they recorded The Devil You Know.
UK Tour Edition
Before the Heaven & Hell tour of the UK in November 2007, a special edition release of The Dio Years was released on 5 November, Black Sabbath: The Dio Years Tour Edition, to commemorate the tour. This CD, only to be in print for a limited time, features four songs from the Live at Hammersmith Odeon limited edition live album recently released by Black Sabbath. The four songs, recorded live in 1981 during Black Sabbath's "Mob Rules Tour" are "Neon Knights", "The Mob Rules", "Children of the Grave", and "Voodoo".
|1.||"Neon Knights" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Bill Ward)||Heaven and Hell||3:51|
|2.||"Lady Evil" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward)||Heaven and Hell||4:23|
|3.||"Heaven and Hell" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward)||Heaven and Hell||6:59|
|4.||"Die Young" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward)||Heaven and Hell||4:44|
|5.||"Lonely is the Word" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward)||Heaven and Hell||5:50|
|6.||"The Mob Rules"||Mob Rules||3:13|
|7.||"Turn Up the Night"||Mob Rules||3:42|
|9.||"Falling Off the Edge of the World"||Mob Rules||5:03|
|10.||"After All (The Dead)"||Dehumanizer||5:42|
|13.||"Children of the Sea (live)" (Dio, Iommi, Butler, Ward)||Live Evil||6:12|
|14.||"The Devil Cried" (Dio, Iommi)||Previously unreleased||6:01|
|15.||"Shadow of the Wind" (Dio, Iommi)||Previously unreleased||5:40|
|16.||"Ear in the Wall" (Dio, Iommi)||Previously unreleased||4:04|
|UK Tour Edition bonus CD (recorded live)|
|2.||"The Mob Rules"|
|3.||"Children of the Grave" (Osbourne, Iommi, Butler, Ward)|
- Ronnie James Dio – vocals
- Tony Iommi – guitar
- Geezer Butler – bass
- Bill Ward – drums (on tracks 1–5)
- Vinny Appice – drums (on tracks 6–16)
- Geoff Nicholls – keyboards (on tracks 1–13)
|2007||The Billboard 200||54|
|2007||"The Devil Cried"||Mainstream Rock Tracks||38|
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years > Review" at AllMusic. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Graff, Gary (7 April 2007). "The Billboard Reviews". Billboard (Prometheus Global Media): 38. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 18 February 2010.
- Alisoglu, Scott. "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years". Blabbermouth.net. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Lye, Andy (2007). "Black Sabbath – The Dio Years". jukeboxmetal.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Black Sabbath: The Dio Years". okayplayer.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "Black Sabbath: Album Guide". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Popoff, Martin (14 December 2006). "Tony Iommi Reveals The New BLACK SABBATH Tracks!". bravewords.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Siegler, Joe (22 February 2007). "The Devil Cried Single". black-sabbath.com. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- Wiederhorn, Jon (15 December 2006). "Half Of Black Sabbath Reunite With Dio; Tour Begins In March". MTV. Retrieved 20 March 2003.
- Saulnier, Jason (24 March 2012). "Vinny Appice Interview". Music Legends. Retrieved 6 May 2013.
- "The Dio Years: Charts & Awards > Billboard Albums" at AllMusic. Retrieved 14 September 2011.
- "The Dio Years: Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles" at AllMusic. Retrieved 14 September 2011.