Joe Ledger Series
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2013)|
Joe Ledger is a series of books written by Jonathan Maberry. His novel Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel, is a bio-terrorism thriller. Its sequels are The Dragon Factory (2010), The King of Plagues (2011), Assassin's Code (2012), Extinction Machine (2013), Code Zero (2014), and Predator One, set for 2015. There are also a number of short stories, audio originals and novellas attached to the series. The first three books in the series were optioned by producer Michael De Luca on behalf of Sony, who in turn took it to ABC; a pilot was written by Emmy Award winner Javier Grillo Marxuach, but ultimately ABC decided to with the remake of Charlie's Angels instead.
The Joe Ledger series follows the titular Captain Joe Ledger, a former Army Ranger and Baltimore Detective who is hired by the clandestine Department of Military Sciences(DMS), as an investigative agency pursuing threats to the US and the world at large by terrorists who are using cutting edge and exotic technology ranging from designer pathogens that create zombies to transgenics used for ethnic cleansing.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2013)|
Captain Joseph Ledger- Main character, described as a "world class smart ass" by his peers. He is recruited to the DMS and is made Captain of Echo Team. Was a police officer in Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Rudy Sanchez- A Psychiatrist and best friend of Joe Ledger. He is a religious man and gets recruited into the DMS.
Mr. Church- A very mysterious character and the name Mr. Church is a false name and his real name is unknown. He has only one living relative; he is also known as the "Deacon", "St. Germaine", and many other equally false names.
Major Grace Courtland- A former SAS soldier who later was recruited into the DMS. She is also a love interest for Joe Ledger.
Dr. William Hu- Chief Scientist for the DMS. He is called an asshole by many of the DMS staff and also described as having no soul.
Dr. Circe O' Tree- The daughter of Mr. Church and holds multiple PhD's and Masters Degrees. She is the love interest of Rudy Sanchez.
Sebastian Gault- A molecular biologist and bio-terrorist who helped fund the creation of the Seif al Din pathogen which created zombies. He does not want to destroy the world but be the richest man in it.
Hecate Jackoby- Geneticist who helped create bio-engineered creatures to sell to the rich.
Paris Jackoby- Brother of Hecate and also a Geneticist.
Eris- Leader of the Seven Kings
Books in Series
- Patient Zero: The initial novel of the series deals with zombies being created in a similar fashion to a prion virus by a group of Islamic bio-terrorists
- The Dragon Factory: This novel deals with bio-engineered creatures and super-soldiers.
- The King of Plagues: This novels deals with a terrorist group known as the Seven Kings, and Sebastian Gault (the main antagonist from Patient Zero) being recruited to join the Kings as the King of Plagues. The Seven Kings disguise themselves as a pseudo-secret society, but are in general a group of war profiteers. The novel deals with the Seven Kings engineering events to recreate the Ten Plagues of Egypt. Apart from references to various secret societies, namely the Skull and Bones and the Seven Kings, there are no "supernatural" elements to this story
- Assassins Code: This novel deals with vampires. Hugo Vox, The King of Fear and the last surviving member of the Seven Kings, engineers a major catastrophe in the form of the Upier, a schism race of humans who possess many of the classical symptoms of vampirism. Another group, the Arklight, are the female members of the Upier forced breeding program, known as dampyheir, who are commtied to wiping out the Upier. A third group, the Sabbatarians or "The Saturday People" are introduced as a follow-on to the Holy Inquisition and a Church-funded clandestine group of vampire hunters.
- Extinction Machine: Joe Ledger and the DMS are embroiled in a new global arms race based on technologies recovered from crashed UFOs.