The Dunwich Horror and Others
Dust-jacket illustration by Lee Brown Coye for The Dunwich Horror and Others
|Author||H. P. Lovecraft|
|Cover artist||Lee Brown Coye|
|Genre||fantasy, horror, Science fiction short stories|
|Media type||Print (Hardback)|
|Pages||xx, 431 pp|
|ISBN||NA (first edition), ISBN 0-87054-037-8 (revised edition)|
The Dunwich Horror and Others is a collection of fantasy, horror and Science fiction short stories by American author H. P. Lovecraft. It was originally published in 1963 by Arkham House in an edition of 3,133 copies.
The true first edition is not bound with head- and tailbands, and the true first-state dustjacket carries a p[rice of $5.00 (not $6.50 as on later printings). (Reportedly some copies lack head and tailbands, indicating the true first edition, but bear the $6.50 price on the dustjacket, suggesting that the publisher ran out of first-edition dustjackets before they ran out of first-edition books, so they raised the price to $6.50, sold the remaining first-edition volumes in second-state jackets, and then started reprinting the book).
The collection was revised in 1985 by S.T. Joshi, replacing the introduction by August Derleth for one by Joshi and another by Robert Bloch. This edition, designated a corrected Sixth Printing', was published in an edition of 4,124 copies.
The Dunwich Horror and Others contains the following tales:
- H. P. Lovecraft and His Work by August Derleth
- In the Vault
- Pickman's Model
- The Rats in the Walls
- The Outsider
- The Colour out of Space
- The Music of Erich Zann
- The Haunter of the Dark
- The Picture in the House
- The Call of Cthulhu
- The Dunwich Horror
- Cool Air
- The Whisperer in Darkness
- The Terrible Old Man
- The Thing on the Doorstep
- The Shadow Over Innsmouth
- The Shadow Out of Time
- 2nd printing, 1966 - 2,090 copies.
- 3rd printing, 1970 - 4,050 copies.
- 4th printing, 1974 - 4,978 copies.
- 5th printing, 1981 - 3,084 copies.
- corrected 6th printing, 1985 - 4,124 copies.
- corrected 7th printing, 1985 - 3,675 copies.
- corrected 8th printing, 1988 - 4,783 copies.
- corrected 9th printing, 1992 - 4,973 copies.
- corrected 10th printing, 1997 - 2,945 copies.
- corrected 11th printing, 2000 - 2,500 copies.
- Jaffery, Sheldon (1989). The Arkham House Companion. Mercer Island, WA: Starmont House, Inc. pp. 64–65,137. ISBN 1-55742-005-X.
- Chalker, Jack L.; Mark Owings (1998). The Science-Fantasy Publishers: A Bibliographic History, 1923-1998. Westminster, MD and Baltimore: Mirage Press, Ltd,. pp. 40, 55.
- Joshi, S.T. (1999). Sixty Years of Arkham House: A History and Bibliography. Sauk City, WI: Arkham House. pp. 78–79, 152–153. ISBN 0-87054-176-5.
- Nielsen, Leon (2004). Arkham House Books: A Collector's Guide. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland & Company, Inc. pp. 86–87,130–131. ISBN 0-7864-1785-4.