The Earlies performing at Summer Sundae in 2005
|Origin||Burnley, Lancashire, and Texas, United States|
|Genres||Psychedelia, progressive rock, electronica, rock|
|Labels||Names/679, Secretly Canadian, Grönland|
|Associated acts||Sara Lowes, King Creosote, Fence Records|
John Mark Lapham
The Earlies are a band formed by Christian Madden and Giles Hatton from Lancashire, England, and Brandon Carr and John Mark Lapham from the United States. They are notable for blending elements from a wide range of musical genres and have been described as both "a very English kind of folk-psychedelia... with a smattering of Beach Boys harmonies" by The Independent, and "country-meets-prog-meets-electronica symphonies" by The Guardian.
In the late 1990s, prior to his Earlies days, Lapham released ambient electronic music, under the name Autio, on Manchester record label Beatnik Records. Hatton recorded as Atomic Clock for the same label.
The band are notable for using a large live line-up consisting of 11 members who play an eclectic range of instruments, including flute, tuba, cello, turntable and synthesizer, alongside the more traditional rock instruments such as guitars and drums.
After a long hiatus, The Earlies will be performing a one-off festival show at the fifth Cloudspotting Festival in England in July 2015, followed by a London date.
Brandon has left his life as a band member to teach at ATEMS High School in Abilene, Texas.
- Harley, Kevin (2004-10-28). "The Earlies, Scala, London - It's time to rise and shine". The Independent. Retrieved 2015-02-18.
- Butler, Jim (2007-02-18). "The Earlies, The Enemy Chorus - The acme of country-meets-prog-goes-electronica". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-02-18.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 176. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- The Earlies on Twitter
- 2004 BBC interview with the Earlies
- Band page on the Secretly Canadian label website
|This article on a United Kingdom band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a United States band or other musical ensemble is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|