The Edmund Fitzgerald (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|The Edmund Fitzgerald|
Yannis Philippakis and Jack Bevan of The Edmund Fitzgerald on stage at The Luminaire in Kilburn, London, in March 2005
|Origin||Oxford and Thame, England|
|Years active||Split in 2005|
The Edmund Fitzgerald (formerly known as Elizabeth) were a math rock band from Oxford, England, who disbanded in 2005. Their final line-up consisted of Yannis Philippakis on lead guitar and vocals, Lina Simon on rhythm guitar, and Jack Bevan on drums. Philippakis and Bevan later went on to join Foals.
Overview and History
The band were known for their live shows that featured intense epic songs with minimal vocals and disjointed, technical rhythms. Influences included Sweep the Leg Johnny and Sonic Youth. However, other influences were so numerous and varied that the group drew from the ideas of other bands rather than their finished product.
The band split in 2005, following the departure of Simon, who chose not to pursue a musical career. They also claimed that things had become "too serious" and that they wanted to have more fun making music. This new desire resulted in the formation of Foals.
|Horses||Split 7"/CD with Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies||Vacuous Pop Recordings|
|Eli Cash||2003 Truck Festival Compilation CD||Truck Records|
|Two Broke Kids Bikes/These Wet Houston Driveways||Silver Rocket SR50 Compilation CD||Stupid Cat Records|
|My Quiets Heart Slight Of Hand||Split 12” with Bilge Pump||Noisestar|
- Ansell, Mark. "The Edmund Fitzgerald". BBC Oxford website. BBC. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Roberts, Colin. "BANDS WE LOVE: PART 2352342". Drowned In Sound. DrownedinSound.com. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Hammond, Tom. "Foals". Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Horses/When We Won't Have To Make The Freezing Scene No More (7")" at MusicBrainz
- "Horses/When We Won't Have To Make The Freezing Scene No More (CD)" at MusicBrainz
- "Edmund Fitzgerald, The / Youthmovie Soundtrack Strategies – Horses/When We Won't Have To Make The Freezing Scene No More". Discogs. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Various – Silver Rocket SR50". Discogs. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- "Edmund Fitzgerald, The / Bilge Pump – Noisestar Sessions #05 And #06". Discogs. Retrieved 1 March 2013.
- Noisestar Sessions #05 and #06 at MusicBrainz