The Elder Scrolls Online
|The Elder Scrolls Online|
|Developer(s)||ZeniMax Online Studios|
|Series||The Elder Scrolls|
|Genre(s)||MMORPG, open world|
|Media/distribution||Optical disc, download|
The Elder Scrolls Online is an upcoming massively multiplayer role-playing video game developed by ZeniMax Online Studios, to be released in 2013. It is a part of The Elder Scrolls video game franchise, of which it is the first open-ended multiplayer installment. It was announced on May 3, 2012, in an exclusive reveal by Game Informer and formally revealed in the same month's issue of the magazine.
As with other games in The Elder Scrolls franchise, the game will be set in the continent of Tamriel and feature a storyline indirectly connected with the other games. The game will be set a millennium (1000 years) before the events of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and around 800 years before The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, with the Daedric Prince Molag Bal appearing as the main antagonist as he attempts to conquer all of Tamriel.
Most of the continent of Tamriel will be playable in the game (although much of it will be locked off for expansion content), and players will have the opportunity to join any of the three factions warring over the throne of the Emperor of Tamriel: The Aldmeri Dominion (represented by an eagle), composed of Altmer, Bosmer, and Khajiit; the Daggerfall Covenant (represented by a lion), composed of Bretons, Redguards, and Orcs; and the Ebonheart Pact (represented by a dragon), composed of Dunmer, Nords, and Argonians.
The Elder Scrolls Online had been in development for 5 years prior to its announcement in May 2012. It is the first project for ZeniMax Online Studios, which was formed in 2007. Matt Firor, studio lead at Zenimax Online, is also the director of The Elder Scrolls Online.
While there have been rumors of a massively multiplayer The Elder Scrolls game for years, accurate information about the game and its imminent May 2012 announcement was leaked in March 2012 to online publication Tom's Guide by an anonymous industry source. According to the leak, the game was scheduled to be shown at E3 2012 in June (which it was) and QuakeCon 2012 in August. The current release date is mid to late 2013.
Published November 8, 2012, Bethesda released a video on YouTube called "An Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online", in which the game's developers talk about the game's content and how it was made.
On January 21, 2013, Beta sign ups for The Elder Scrolls Online began.
On March 26, 2013, the first round of closed beta invites were sent out.
On April 8, 2013, the second round of closed beta invites were sent out.
- "June Cover Revealed: The Elder Scrolls Online". Game Informer. May 3, 2012. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- "Elder Scrolls Online makes MMO of series". Gamasutra. May 3, 2012. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- "Why The Elder Scrolls Online Isn't Using HeroEngine". Game Informer. May 25, 2012. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Bethesda to Announce Elder Scrolls MMO in May". Tom's Guide. March 15, 2012. Retrieved May 3, 2012.
- "An Introduction to The Elder Scrolls Online". YouTube. Bethesda Softworks. November 8, 2012. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "The Elder Scrolls Online: Beta Sign-Up". Bethesda Softworks. Retrieved February 2, 2013.
- "The Elder Scrolls Online - First Wave of Beta Invitations". Bethesda Softworks. Retrieved March 26, 2013.
- "The Elder Scrolls Online - Second Wave of Beta Invitations". Bethesda Softworks. Retrieved April 8, 2013.