|Genres||Celtic rock, Christian rock|
|Labels||Word Records, Pila Music, 5 Minute Walk, Pleitegeier Records|
|Past members||Tim Cotterell
The Electrics are a Celtic rock band from Dumbarton, Scotland. They formed in 1988 when former Infrapenny members Sammy Horner (vocals and bass guitar) and Paul Baird (guitar) asked drummer Dave McArthur and sax/keyboard player Allan Hewitt to play a gig at Glasgow's Impact Festival. The band released a self-financed cassette album, Views in Blues, in 1989. Following this recording the band evolved a celtic rock sound, heavily influenced by The Waterboys and The Pogues. Subsequent recordings included Vision and Dreams (1990) which was distributed by Word Records, and Big Silent World (1993), on Germany's Pila Music label.
Renowned for their energetic performances, the band have performed in the UK, Europe and the USA.
The band have not officially disbanded but have no plans to play any shows in the near future; Sam Horner is currently a church based youth worker in Canada, while the rest of the band members, past and present, remain in Scotland working on other projects.
- Current members
- Sammy Horner - Lead Vocals, Bass
- Paul Baird - Guitar and backing vocals.
- Davie McArthur - Drums, Bodhran.
- Allan Hewitt - Keyboards, accordion, saxophone, whistle and backing vocals.
- Former members
- Jim Cosgrove - Drums
- Tim Cotterell - Fiddle, Mandolin
- Heather Negus - Accordion, keyboards.
- Kris McEwan - Fiddle/mandolin.
- David Lyon - Accordion, Keyboards
- Kenny MacNicol - Highland/ Uhllean Pipes, whistles.
- Robin Callander - Fiddle/mandolin.
- 1991: Visions And Dreams (Review: Cross Rhythms)
- 1993: Big Silent World
- 1995: The Whole Shebang!
- 1997: The Electrics (Reviews: Cross Rhythms, The Phantom Tollbooth)
- 1998: Livin' It Up When I Die (Review: Cross Rhythms, The Phantom Tollbooth, HM Magazine)
- 1999: Danger Live (Review: The Phantom Tollbooth
- 2001: Reel, Folk'n'Rock'n'Roll (Review: Cross Rhythms)
- 2005: Old, New, Borrowed & Green (Review: Cross Rhythms)
- Massey, Dave (August 1991). "The Electrics - Visions And Dreams". Cross Rhythms (7).
- Cummings, Tony (October 1997). "The Electrics - The Electrics". Cross Rhythms (41).
- Rimmer, Mike (December 1998). "The Electrics - Livin' It Up When I Die". Cross Rhythms (48).
- McGovern, Brian Vincent (November–December 1998). "THE ELECTRICS Livin' it Up When I Die". HM Magazine (74). ISSN 1066-6923.
- Cummings, Tony (May 2002). "The Electrics - Reel, Folk'n'Rock'n'Roll". Cross Rhythms (68).
- Further reading
- "the Electrics". 7ball (20). September–October 1998.