The Elements of Typographic Style
Cover of The Elements of Typographic Style, version 3.0 from 2004.
|Publisher||Hartley & Marks Publishers|
|Pages||254 pp (first edition)|
|LC Class||Z246 .B74 1992|
The Elements of Typographic Style is the authorative book on typography and style by Canadian typographer, poet and translator Robert Bringhurst. Originally published in 1992 by Hartley & Marks Publishers, it was revised in 1996, 2001 (v2.4), 2002 (v2.5), 2004 (v3.0), 2005 (v3.1), 2008 (v3.2), and 2012 (v4.0). A history and guide to typography, it has been praised by Hermann Zapf, who said “I wish to see this book become the Typographers’ Bible.” Jonathan Hoefler and Tobias Frere-Jones consider it "the finest book ever written about typography," according to the FAQ section of their type foundry's website. Because of its status as a respected and frequently cited resource, typographers and designers often refer to it simply as Bringhurst.
The title alludes to The Elements of Style, the classic guide to writing by Strunk and White.
The titles of the chapters in the book's fourth edition are as follows:
- The Grand Design
- Rhythm & Proportion
- Harmony & Counterpoint
- Structural Forms & Devices
- Analphabetic Symbols
- Choosing & Combining Type
- Historical Interlude
- Shaping the Page
- The State of the Art
- Grooming the Font
- Prowling the Specimen Books
In addition to these chapters, the book also contains five appendices, a historical synopsis, a foreword, and an afterword.
- First edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 1992, 254pp, ISBN 0-88179-110-5 (hardcover)
- Second edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 1996, 352pp, ISBN 0-88179-133-4 (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-132-6 (paperback)
- Third edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 2005, ISBN 0-88179-205-5 (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-206-3 (paperback)
- Fourth edition: Hartley & Marks Publishers, 2012, ISBN 0-88179-211-X (hardcover), ISBN 0-88179-212-8 (paperback)
- Hermann Zapf, as cited on the back cover of the book in version 4.0, ISBN 978-0-88179-212-6
- "Can you recommend any good books on typography?". www.typography.com. Retrieved 2014-10-13.
- The Elements of Typographic Style Applied to the Web – an unaffiliated webpage applying the same principles to web typography
- A Classic Thesis style - An Homage to The Elements of Typographic Style – LaTeX and LyX template for dissertations, books and articles inspired by Bringhurst's book