The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot
The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot is a 2007 non-fiction book by author Naomi Wolf, published by Chelsea Green Publishing of White River Junction, Vermont. The book argues that events of the early 2000s paralleled steps taken in the early years of the twentieth century's worst dictatorships and called Americans to take action to restore their constitutional values before they suffer the same fate. The book illustrates what Wolf depicts as ten steps in the transition of open societies into closed regimes.
The ten steps
Wolf outlines ten steps that "closing societies" — such as Hitler's Germany, Mussolini's Italy, and Stalin's Russia — have historically followed. These steps, Wolf claims, are being observed in America now.
The steps are:
- Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy.
- Create secret prisons where torture takes place.
- Develop a thug caste or paramilitary force not answerable to citizens.
- Set up an internal surveillance system.
- Harass citizens' groups.
- Engage in arbitrary detention and release.
- Target key individuals.
- Control the press.
- Cast criticism as espionage and dissent as treason.
- Subvert the rule of law.
- Fascist America in Ten Steps.
- ""The End of America": Feminist Social Critic Naomi Wolf Warns US in Slow Descent into Fascism". Democracy Now!. November 28, 2007.
- Wolf, Naomi (May 3, 2007). "Fascist America, in 10 Easy Steps". Scoop.
- Holden, Stephen (December 3, 2008). "When Laws and Liberties Test Each Other's Limits". The New York Times.
- Interview with the author
- Interview on "The End of America" with Naomi Wolf on The Alcove with Mark Molaro
- Author describes the steps taken by incoming fascist regimes and the Bush administration and the U.S. congress after the 9/11 attacks
- After Words interview with Wolf on The End of America, September 25, 2007
|This article about a book on politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|