The Energy and Resources Institute
|The Energy and Resources Institute - TERI|
|Type||Non Profit Research Institution|
|Location||New Delhi, Delhi, India|
The Energy and Resources Institute, also known as TERI (formerly Tata Energy Research Institute), established in 1974, is a research institute based in New Delhi that conducts research work in the fields of energy, environment and sustainable development with a focus on formulating local- and national-level strategies for shaping global solutions to critical issues.
In 2013, the institute was ranked as the topmost global think-tank by the International Centre for Climate Governance (ICCG)
The origins of TERI lie in Mithapur, a remote town in Gujarat, where a TATA engineer, Darbari Seth, was concerned about the enormous quantities of energy his factory spent on desalination. He proposed the idea of a research institute to tackle the depletion of natural resources and energy scarcity. J. R. D. Tata, chairman of the TATA Group, liked the idea and accepted the proposal. TERI was set up with a modest corpus of 35 million rupees. On the invitation of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, TERI registered in Delhi in 1974 as the Tata Energy Research Institute. As the scope of its activities widened, it was renamed The Energy and Resources Institute in 2003.
TERI began operations in Mumbai in Bombay House, headquarters of the house of Tata. In 1984, it moved to Delhi. After being shunted from one premise to another, including the India International Centre, TERI moved to the India Habitat Centre. Today TERI has a global presence with many centers in India and abroad.
- Headquarters at the India Habitat Center, New Delhi.
- Southern Regional Centre, Bangalore
- Western Regional Centre, Goa
- North - Eastern Regional Centre, Guwahati
- Himalayan Centre, Mukteshwar
- TERI Mumbai, Navi Mumbai
- TERI Japan, Tokyo
- TERI North America, Washington D.C
- TERI Europe, London
- TERI South East Asia, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
TERI has over 1200 employees, with research professionals from disciplines pertaining to issues of environment and energy. The Institute's Director General is Rajendra K. Pachauri. He was also chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change which was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007. TERI's Executive Director is Dr Leena Srivastava. She was recognized by the Prime Minister of the French Republic and received the Knight of the Order of Academic Palms in 2007 (Ordre national du Mérite).
The scope of the organisation's activities is varied and spans across various fields such as climate change, energy efficiency, renewable energy, biotechnology, and social transformation. During its 41 years of existence, TERI has completed more than 3,500 projects.
- DSDS (Delhi Sustainable Development Summit) - An annual summit which facilitates the exchange of knowledge on diverse aspects of global sustainable development.
- LaBL (Lighting a Billion Lives) - An initiative to provide clean lighting access to bottom of the pyramid communities.
- Green Olympiad - Conducted in association with MoEF, it is an international environment examination that is annually organized for middle and high-school students.
- TERI ranked 20 in the list of top global think tanks according to a survey conducted by Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP) of University of Pennsylvania, Brookings Institution
- Strategic Partner Award awarded to TERI on November 4, 2014 by Deakin University for growing the research development strategy in India.
- TERI was awarded EDF Pulse Award in Paris by the Chairman of EDF Mr Henri Proglio on 30 April 2014, which recognizes ingenious efforts towards providing access to electricity.
- TERI's community radio service Kumaon Vani received an award from the Union Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (I&B) at National Community Radio Sammelan held on March 21, 2014.
- TERI's film, The 'Flight' and 'Are we ready to dig in?' won awards at the CMS Vatavaran 2014 on 2 February 2014.
- TERI was awarded the Project Management Institute (PMI) Project of Year (2013) award in the NGO category for LaBL project.
- TERI Southern Regional Center in Bangalore was awarded Best Energy Auditor and Best Performance Improvement from the Petroleum Conservation Research Association in 2003 and 2004.
- TERI was awarded The Economic Times Corporate Citizen of the Year in 2008-09.
TERI Press, TERI's publishing arm releases a plethora of publications out of which some noteworthy publications are :
- TerraGreen - Monthly magazine of TERI on issues of environment, biodiversity, livelihood rights, wildlife, energy, and sustainable development.
- TERI Energy Data Directory and Yearbook (TEDDY) : Launched in 1986, it is a compilation of energy and environment data. It is a comprehensive reference document and a source of information on energy supply sectors (coal and lignite, oil and gas, power, and renewable energy sources) as well as energy-consuming sectors (agriculture, industry, transport, residential, and commercial sectors). 
TERI University was established on August 19, 1998, and was recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) as a deemed-to-be University in 1999. Set-up as the TERI School of Advanced Studies in 1998, the institution was subsequently renamed TERI University.
TERI Prakriti School
Established in January 2015 with a vision to provide sustainability education and help create environmental awareness among children at an early age. Inaugurated by Union Minister for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar, the K-12 school is affiliated to CBSE.
- "TERI tops global climate think-tank list". Zee News. July 10, 2013.
- "Championing the green alternative". Economic Times. 2 January 2010.
- "Darbari Seth Memorial Lecture 2006" (PDF). February 2013.
- ["http://envfor.nic.in/envis/compendium/21-teri.pdf" "ENVIS Centre on "Renewable Energy and Environment""] (PDF).
- "Teri Stays Teri, But Says Ta-Ta To Tata". Financialexpress.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Location and Linkages - TERI". November 15, 2014.
- "Asia - Research - Universiteit Utrecht". 2011-10-05.
- "Our People - TERI".
- "The Nobel Peace Prize 2007".
- "TERI receives second Knighthood Honour from French government". Financialexpress.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "Introducing TERI 2013" (PDF). India Smart Grid. November 23, 2013.
- "5 Indian thinktanks in world’s top 150". Times of India. January 28, 2014.
- "Deakin marks 20-year India milestone". Deakin University, Australia. November 26, 2014.
- "EDF PULSE AWARDS: SMILES ALL ROUND". EDF PULSE. April 30, 2014.
- "National Community Radio Awards 2014 presented". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. March 13, 2014.
- "7th CMS VATAVARAN Environment and Wildlife Film Festival and Forum 2013". CMS Vatavaran. February 2, 2014.
- "PMI’s Prestigious Project Management Award 2013" (PDF). PMI awards. September 27, 2013.
- "TERI bags two awards". The Hindu (Chennai, India). February 9, 2005.
- "Features". The Times Of India. August 25, 2009.
- "Global Think Tank TERI Launches its Annual Publication "TERI Energy Data Directory and Yearbook (TEDDY)"". March 22, 2013.
- Business Standard (2007-11-01). "TERI launches rating system for 'green' buildings". Business-standard.com. Retrieved 2013-02-02.
- "List of UGC Recognized University in NCT of Delhi" (PDF). delhi.gov.in.
- "University status for TERI School". thehindubusinessline.com.
- "Government planning to introduce logo for green buildings: Prakash Javadekar". Economic Times.
- Teriin.org (introduction) - official site.