The Ethel Merman Disco Album
|The Ethel Merman Disco Album|
|Studio album by Ethel Merman|
The Ethel Merman Disco Album is a 1979 album by American Broadway legend Ethel Merman. It was released on A&M Records. Over the years, the record became a camp classic, with vinyl copies highly sought out by collectors.
Merman recorded 14 songs for The Ethel Merman Disco Album, although only seven were released on the finished record. Each of the songs was recorded in only one take and arranged vocally the way she always recorded them, with disco instrumentation added later as a backtrack.
In 2002, Fynsworth Alley Records acquired the rights to release the album on CD. The CD release contains one bonus track, a recording of They Say It's Wonderful. There are no plans yet to release the other six tracks.
In a retrospective review, William Ruhlmann of music database website Allmusic rated The Ethel Merman Disco Album two-and-a-half out of five stars. Ruhlmann noted that "everyone, it seemed, was adding a disco beat and trying to cash in on the current – and temporary – fad" and that Merman "was 20 years past her last big success on the Great White Way and, you'd have thought, ready for retirement." He called the album "pretty much like you'd expect. [Peter] Matz creates fairly typical disco tracks, and Merman sings the way she always does, sounding like she has nothing to do with the background at all." He concluded: "The record is really only good for a laugh, but there's just one joke."
- "There's No Business Like Show Business" (Berlin) – 5:48
- "Everything's Coming Up Roses" (Sondheim, Styne) – 6:30
- "I Get a Kick Out of You" (Porter) – 6:09
- "Something for the Boys" (Porter) – 5:19
- "Some People" (Sondheim, Styne) – 4:49
- "Alexander's Ragtime Band" (Berlin) – 4:28
- "I Got Rhythm" (Gershwin, Gershwin) – 5:06
- "They Say It's Wonderful" (Berlin) (bonus track on CD reissue)
- Fynsworth Alley to Hold Re-Release Party for The Ethel Merman Disco Album
- Ruhlmann, William. The Ethel Merman Disco Album - Ethel Merman at AllMusic. Retrieved December 24, 2011.
- The Ethel Merman Disco Album, Track 8 - Original recording reissued on CD in 2002 by Fynsworth Alley, LLC and Universal Music Enterprises, a division of UMG Recordings, Inc.