The Evil Within
||The lead section of this article may need to be rewritten. (February 2014)|
|The Evil Within|
English cover art
|Engine||Modified id Tech 5|
|Release date(s)||NA August 26, 2014
|Distribution||Optical disc, download|
The Evil Within, known in Japan as Psychobreak (サイコブレイク Saikobureiku?), is an upcoming survival horror video game, being developed by Japanese studio Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda Softworks for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.
The game is played from a third-person perspective in which scavenging for supplies and learning when to fight or run are key factors in surviving. Sebastian will need to make use of the environment if he wants to survive whatever is thrown at him.
When Detective Sebastian Castellanos and his partners, Joseph Oda and Julie "Kid" Kidman, rush to the scene of a gruesome mass murder, a mysterious, powerful force is lying in wait for them. Witnessing the killing of fellow police officers one after another, Sebastian is then attacked and loses consciousness. Waking up in a land where monsters are wandering about, Sebastian has to fight his way through a world of death and its close friend, madness, in order to understand what’s going on. Sebastian has to face his fears in order to survive on a journey to discover what lies in the shadows of that mysterious force. 
The game was revealed in April 2012 under the working title "Project Zwei", with Shinji Mikami attached as director. On April 15, 2013, and over the next few days, Bethesda Softworks revealed a series of short cryptic videos teasing the new game, officially announcing it on April 19, 2013, revealing the title, the platforms it will be released on, and a live action teaser trailer. A second trailer was released on September 17, 2013 and an extended gameplay video was revealed on September 27, 2013. On February 14, 2014, it was announced that the game would be released on August 26, 2014 in North America, August 28, 2014 in Australia and August 29, 2014 in Europe.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (April 19, 2013). "Shinji Mikami's New Game is The Evil Within". IGN. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Karmali, Luke (February 14, 2014). "The Evil Within Release Date And Box Art Revealed". IGN. Retrieved February 15, 2014.
- Nakamura, Toshi (April 25, 2013). "The Evil Within Will Be More About Using Your Brain Than Your Gun". Kotaku. Retrieved April 25, 2013.
- Lien, Tracey (May 28, 2013). "The Evil Within's first 15 minutes sets a spooky and suspenseful tone". Polygon. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Romano, Sal (April 19, 2013). "The Evil Within story, key features detailed". Gematsu. Retrieved September 13, 2013.
- Gilbert, Ben (April 25, 2012). "Resident Evil's Mikami welcomes Bethesda to the world of survival horror". Joystiq. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- Wylde, Tyler (April 16, 2013). "Bethesda tweets cryptic Vine video, says "guess again" to Fallout 4 rumors". PC Gamer. Retrieved April 20, 2013.
- "The Evil Within - TGS Trailer". YouTube. 2013-09-17. Retrieved 2014-02-26.
- "The Evil Within - Extended Gameplay Video". YouTube. 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2014-02-26.