The Expendables 3
|The Expendables 3|
|Directed by||Patrick Hughes|
|Story by||Sylvester Stallone|
by David Callaham
The Expendables 3 is an upcoming American ensemble action film directed by Patrick Hughes, and written by Creighton Rothenberger, Katrin Benedikt, and Sylvester Stallone. It is a sequel to the 2012 action film The Expendables 2, and features returning cast members Sylvester Stallone, Jason Statham, Jet Li, Dolph Lundgren, Randy Couture, Terry Crews, and Arnold Schwarzenegger. New additions to the cast include Wesley Snipes, Antonio Banderas, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Kelsey Grammer, Kellan Lutz, Ronda Rousey, Victor Ortiz, Glen Powell and Robert Davi. The story follows the mercenary group known as "The Expendables" as they come into conflict with ruthless arms dealer Conrad Stonebanks (Gibson), the Expendables' co-founder, who is determined to destroy the team. It is the third installment in The Expendables film series.
The mercenary group, the Expendables, led by Barney Ross, come face to face with the team's co-founder Conrad Stonebanks. Ross was forced to kill Stonebanks after he became a ruthless arms trader, but Stonebanks survived and has now made it his mission to destroy the Expendables. Ross resorts to recruiting a new and younger generation of Expendables to help the team overcome his old adversary.
Confirmed members of the cast include:
- Sylvester Stallone as Barney Ross: Leader of the Expendables.
- Jason Statham as Lee Christmas: The team's knife expert.
- Jet Li as Yin Yang: The Expendables' hand-to-hand combat expert.
- Dolph Lundgren as Gunner Jensen: Volatile member of the team.
- Randy Couture as Toll Road: The team's demolitions expert.
- Terry Crews as Hale Caesar: The Expendables' barrel-weapons specialist.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as Trench Mauser
- Mel Gibson as Conrad Stonebanks: A ruthless arms dealer and co-founder of the Expendables.
- Harrison Ford as Max Drummer: An authority figure who manages the Expendables.
- Wesley Snipes as Surgeon
- Antonio Banderas as Rapido
- Kellan Lutz as Smilee: the leader of a team of younger mercenaries similar to the Expendables.
- Ronda Rousey as Luna: An athletic barmaid who teams up with the Expendables. Rousey filmed her role while training to defend her title at UFC 168.
- Victor Ortiz
- Glen Powell as Thorn: a highly trained combat veteran and hacker.
- Kelsey Grammer as Bonaparte: Former mercenary and Expendables ally.
- Robert Davi as Goran Vogner: The head of the Albanian mafia.
In March 2012 Couture said a third installment of The Expendables might begin production in late 2012, after the release of The Expendables 2. In April 2012, Steven Seagal said he was offered a role in a third film. In August 2012, producer Avi Lerner confirmed that Nicolas Cage had been signed for the (potential) sequel. He also said that the producers intended to bring back the series' stars (attempting to have Mickey Rourke reprise his role), had approached Clint Eastwood about a role, and had plans to pursue Harrison Ford and approach Wesley Snipes after his release from prison. Stallone said, "We are thinking about different concepts—the third one is the hardest. The second is the natural progression. The third, that’s when the air gets rare. We’re thinking ambitiously about it...You now have to give audiences something they don’t expect at all—maybe even going into a different genre." Also in August, Chuck Norris said he would not return for a sequel. On August 13, 2012, Jean-Claude Van Damme indicated that Stallone might include him in The Expendables 3 as Claude Vilain, brother of Jean Vilain. On October 31, 2012, it was confirmed that Nu Image and Millennium Films were in the process of pre-selling international distribution rights for The Expendables 3. On December 19, 2012, it was reported that Jackie Chan had agreed to join the sequel on the condition that he would have more than a minor role.
In March 2013, Stallone confirmed he was writing a script for the sequel, and that he intended for the film to be more humorous with moments of drama. Stallone also said that Seagal would not be in the film, and that he wanted to cast more young actors in their mid-20's. In April 2013, Stallone announced that Patrick Hughes would direct the sequel. In May 2013, Chan, Snipes, Cage, and Milla Jovovich were announced to be in advanced negotiations to join the film. Filming is scheduled to begin in August 2013. In June 2013, Lionsgate announced that the film would be released on August 15, 2014. In July 2013 it was reported that actor Mel Gibson would portray the film's villain, and in July, Stallone confirmed Gibson's involvement. Also in July, Kellan Lutz, and professional fighters Victor Ortiz, and Ronda Rousey, were added to the cast. It was revealed that the film would feature several younger, technology-oriented action heroes who clash with the veteran Expendables. In August 2013, it was confirmed that Ford, Antonio Banderas and Glen Powell would join the cast, and that Bruce Willis would not be reprising his role as Church. Willis' lack of involvement was cited as a disagreement over money, with production sources indicating that Willis was offered $3 million for four days of shooting in Bulgaria, but Willis wanted $4 million. On September 17, 2013, Kelsey Grammer was announced to be in negotiations to join the film.
Principal photography began on August 19, 2013, in Bulgaria and at the Nu Boyana Film studio in Sofia and ended on October 22. In September 2013, Crews revealed in an interview that Statham survived an on-set mishap when the truck he was driving plunged into the Black Sea after its brakes had failed. In a November 2013 interview, Couture confirmed that filming had finished, and that discussions for a fourth Expendables film were taking place.
- Goldberg, Matt (August 19, 2013). "THE EXPENDABLES 3 Begins Filming; Synopsis Released; Cage, Chan, Rourke, and Jovovich Absent from Cast List". Collider. Archived from the original on August 19, 2013. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Connelly, Brendon (August 12, 2013). "Expendables 3 Producer Lists The Cast – And It’s Not What I Was Expecting". Bleeding Cool. Archived from the original on August 13, 2013. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Perry, Spencer (November 4, 2013). "Harrison Ford recounts experience on ’The Expendables 3’". Business Recorder. Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved November 28, 2013.
- "Lutz: Expendables was dream job". MSN Movies. November 29, 2013. Retrieved November 29, 2013.
- Marrocco, Steven (August 2, 2013). "Ronda Rousey's role in 'Expendables 3' no small part". USA Today (Gannett Company). Archived from the original on November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Turnbow, Tina (March 3, 2014). "Glen Powell of the Expendabls 3". Nylon Guys Magazine. Retrieved March 5, 2014.
- Fleming Jr., Mike (September 17, 2013). "Kelsey Grammer Joins Beefcake Brigade in ‘The Expendables 3′". Deadline. PMC. Archived from the original on September 17, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Jones, Brandon (November 5, 2013). "‘License To Kill’ Villain Robert Davi Discusses His Role In ‘The Expendables 3′ And Reflect On ‘The Goonies’". The Global Dispatch. Archived from the original on November 15, 2013. Retrieved November 15, 2013.
- Orange, B. Alan (March 23, 2012). "The Expendables 3 to Start Filming This Fall". Movie Web. Archived from the original on November 16, 2012. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Outlaw, Kofi (April 5, 2012). "Steven Seagal Offered ‘Expendables 3′ Role". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on August 13, 2013. Retrieved November 16, 2012.
- Ashurst, Sam (August 13, 2012). "Clint Eastwood in talks for Expendables 3". Total Film (Future Publishing). Archived from the original on August 13, 2012. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Niall, Browne (August 14, 2012). "Will ‘The Expendables 3′ Go Sci-Fi & Who Will Sign Up?". Screen Rant. Retrieved August 14, 2012.
- Currie, Matt (August 23, 2012). "Chuck Norris Says He’s Done with The Expendables Franchise". Collider. Archived from the original on August 23, 2012. Retrieved August 23, 2012.
- Currie, Matt (August 13, 2012). "Van Damme talks Expendables 3". MSN. Archived from the original on August 13, 2012. Retrieved August 13, 2012.
- Goldberg, Matt (October 31, 2012). "AFM 2012: The Expendables 3 Confirmed; The Mechanic 2 Announced". Collider. Archived from the original on October 31, 2012. Retrieved October 31, 2012.
- Tsui, Clarence (December 18, 2012). "Jackie Chan Joins 'Expendables 3,' Eyes New Project With Chris Tucker". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- Trumbore, Dave (March 12, 2013). "Sylvester Stallone Wants More Humor for Expendables 3, Hopes to Add Jackie Chan and Promises "Young Blood"". Collider. Archived from the original on July 24, 2013. Retrieved March 13, 2013.
- Fleming, Mike (April 23, 2013). "Sly Stallone Chooses Patrick Hughes To Helm ‘Expendables 3′". Deadline. PMC. Archived from the original on April 23, 2013. Retrieved April 23, 2013.
- Lieberman, David (May 31, 2013). "‘Expendables 3′ Woos Jackie Chan, Wesley Snipes, Nic Cage & Milla Jovovich As Lionsgate CEO Talks Up Plans". Deadline.com. PMC. Archived from the original on May 31, 2013. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "‘Expendables 3′ Gets August 2014 Release Date". Deadline. PMC. June 3, 2013. Archived from the original on June 3, 2013. Retrieved June 3, 2013.
- Child, Ben (June 11, 2013). "Mel Gibson being lined up to play villain in The Expendables 3". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Archived from the original on July 18, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- ""Mad Max vs. Barney Ross"!! Mel Gibson confirmed for Expendables 3!!". Ain't It Cool News. July 16, 2013. Archived from the original on July 18, 2013. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- Trumbore, Dave (July 23, 2013). "Christopher Walken Joins JERSEY BOYS, Kellan Lutz Boards EXPENDABLES 3, Jessica Alba Joins STRECH and Danny McBride to Star in New Cameron Crowe Film". Collider. Archived from the original on July 24, 2013. Retrieved July 24, 2013.
- Yamato, Jen (August 6, 2013). "Harrison Ford In For ‘Expendables 3,’ Bruce Willis Out". Deadline. PMC. Archived from the original on August 6, 2013. Retrieved August 6, 2013.
- Ford, Rebecca (August 12, 2013). "Glen Powell Joins 'Expendables 3'". The Hollywood Reporter (Prometheus Global Media). Archived from the original on August 13, 2013. Retrieved August 13, 2013.
- Callagher, Brian (October 22, 2013). "The Expendables 3 Wraps Shooting". Movieweb. Retrieved December 29, 2013.
- Lankester, Mark (September 16, 2013). "Jason Statham Survives 'Near-Death Experience' on the Set of 'The Expendables 3'". Yahoo! Movies. Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved September 17, 2013.
- Douglas, Stephen (November 14, 2013). "Exclusive Interview: Randy Couture on Ambushed and Expendables 3 and 4". CraveOnline. Archived from the original on November 28, 2013. Retrieved November 28, 2013.