The Extra Lens
The Extra Lens, formerly known as The Extra Glenns, are a band made up of Franklin Bruno of Nothing Painted Blue and John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats. They were something of an underground legend in the '90s, recording tracks for singles and some compilations. Both artists however started concentrating on their own solo work, though as their popularity grew they continued to work together when possible. A show at the 2000 San Francisco Noise Pop Festival found an unexpected crowd in attendance with exceeding interest with fans coming from as far away as New York just for the band. They decided then that it was a good idea to keep it going and in 2002 Absolutely Kosher Records released Martial Arts Weekend, the group's first full length album.
In August 2010, it was announced that The Extra Glenns had signed to Merge Records and changed their name to The Extra Lens. The new album, Undercard, was released on October 19, 2010. SPIN Magazine gave the record 7 out of 10 stars, calling it "vivid" and "haunting."
- "Infidelity" + 2 7" (Harriet, 1994)
- Martial Arts Weekend (Absolutely Kosher, 2002)
- Undercard (Merge Records, 2010)
- "Badger Song" and "That" - High Fly Graveyard cassette (Shrimper, 1992)
- "Badger Song" - Abridged Perversion CD (Shrimper, 1994)
- "I Hear the Planets" - Fantasy Band 7" EP (Shrimper, 1994)
- "Process of Elimination" - The Long Secret CD (Harriet, 1995)
- "Sure" - Sidereal Rest CD (Scratch, 1996)
- "Gravedigger" - Extra Walt 2x7" (Walt, 1996)
- Pitchfork Media on Martial Arts Weekend
- The Extra Glenns at AllMusic
|This article on a United States rock music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|