The Family Dogg
|The Family Dogg|
|Past members||Albert Hammond
Doreen De Veuve
Pam "Zooey" Quinn
The idea was born when the Anglo-American singers of the Spanish groups, Los Flaps and Diamond Boys, Albert Hammond and Steve Rowland met for the first time at a concert in Madrid in 1964. In 1966, The Family Dogg was formed in England with the participation of the singers Mike Hazlewood and Christine Holmes (later known under the name Kristine Sparkle). The debut album, A Way of Life was released in 1969, and the title track scored a number 6 hit in the UK Singles Chart. Jimmy Page, John Bonham and John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin were guest musicians on this album, along with Elton John.
In 1970, the group was renamed 'Steve Rowland and The Family Dogg'. In April 1970, they had a Number 2 hit in the Netherlands with the song "Sympathy", previously recorded by the group Rare Bird in 1969. In 1972, Steve Rowland released a last Family Dogg album, View from Rowland's Head, with guest musicians Chris Spedding on guitar and Ireen Sheer as singer. This album had two pressings, one in the UK and one in the US. Between the two, were included six cover songs that were written by Sixto Diaz Rodriguez. Five of them were previously recorded on Rodriguez's album, Cold Fact. The sixth, "Advice To Smokey Robinson", was never recorded by Rodriguez.
The Family Dogg also released the singles "The Storm" in 1967 (a song originally written by the Bee Gees in Australia); "I'll Wear a Silly Grin" / "Couldn't Help It", and "Brown Eyed Girl" / "Let It Rain" in 1968; on the Fontana label.
Their final release in 1976 was a cover version of "Uptown Uptempo Woman".
- Steve Rowland - vocals, guitar, drums
- Albert Hammond - vocals, guitar
- Mike Hazlewood - vocals, guitar
- Christine Holmes - vocals
- Doreen De Veuve - vocals
- Pam "Zooey" Quinn - vocals
- Kevin Lamb - vocals
- Ireen Sheer - vocals
- Sue Lynn - vocals
- Sherri Lynn [Brenda Pidduck] - vocals
- Pat Arnold - vocals
- Mark Deming. "The Family Dogg | Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "70s invasion ; KRISTINE SPARKLE ; 70s glam girl *". Angelfire.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Family Dogg, The* - A Way Of Life at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 195. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Family Dogg, The* - The View From Rowland's Head at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Family Dogg, The* - Family Dog (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "Family Dogg, The* - I'll Wear A Silly Grin (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "The Family Dogg - Brown Eyed Girl / Let It Rain - Hansa - Germany - 14 129 AT". 45cat. Retrieved 2014-07-23.
- "The Family Dogg | Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-07-23.