The Final Winter
|The Final Winter|
Theatrical poster for The Final Winter
|Directed by||Brian Andrews
|Produced by||Anthony Coffee
|Written by||Matthew Nable|
|Music by||Adam Gock and Dinesh Wicks|
|Editing by||Michael Tronick|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures Australia|
|Release dates||6 September 2007|
|Running time||96 minutes|
The Final Winter is an Australian drama film released in 2007. It was directed by Brian Andrews and Jane Forrest and produced by Anthony Coffee, and Michelle Russell, while independently produced it is being distributed by Paramount Pictures. It was written by Matthew Nable who also starred as the lead role 'Grub' Henderson. The film, which earned praise from critics, focuses around Grub who is the captain of the Newtown Jets football team in the early 1980s and his determination to stand for what rugby league traditionally stood for while dealing with his own identity crisis.
The film explores the way in which business tore up the loyalty that was between Grub's club and family. Essentially this is a metaphor for the way in which business began to imprint the game of Rugby League during the 1980s, and saw the rise of commercialism in the game. Consequently Grub must battle with an administration that wanted him gone and additionally his brother and coach's betrayal. The film also deals with the domestic issues between Grub and his wife and his children, as their husband and father has been transformed from who he was to who he has become.
- Matt Nable - Mick "Grub" Henderson
- Bob Baines - Neddy
- Conrad Coleby - Billy
- Nathaniel Dean - Trent
- Damian De Montemas - Max
- Kevin Golsby - Chairman
- Raelee Hill - Emma
- John Jarratt - Colgate
- Matthew Johns - Jack Cooper
- Michelle Langstone - Mia
- Scott Lowe - Muddy
- Kate Mulvaney - Kate
The film also features cameo appearances from Tom Raudonikis, Roy Masters, Thomas Keneally, Jack Elsegood, Max Krilich, Phil Sigsworth, Noel "Ned" Kelly and Australian Wrestling Federation ring announcer 'The Duke of Wrestling' Kieran Burns.
The Final Winter grossed $284,354 at the box office in Australia.
- "Cinematic Intelligence Agency Review and information". Cinematic Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 29 August 2007.
- Daniel Williams (31 August 2007). "Footy for Thought". Time (Time Inc.). Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- "At the Movies Review". At the Movies, ABC. Retrieved 29 August 2007.
- Purcell, Charles (6 September 2007). "Final whistle". The Sydney Morning Herald (Australia: Fairfax Media). Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- FitzSimons, Peter (20 October 2007). "The Fitz Files". The Sydney Morning Herald (Australia: Fairfax Media). Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- Douglas Kennedy and Elissa Blake (19 August 2007). "League legends in The Final Winter". The Sunday Mail (Australia: Queensland Newspapers). Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- Phil Rothfield and Rebecca Wilson (1 July 2007). "Hoppa a player agent". The Daily Telegraph (Australia: News Limited). Retrieved 2 October 2010.
- Film Victoria - Australian Films at the Australian Box Office[dead link]